Sata harddrive no longer shows up

stevedude

Hi guys, my 500gb sata harddrive hasn't been working for awhile and today i have time to try and fix it. So everything used to be good and working but now it won't show up in my computer. it shows up on startup and in device manager
harddrive.jpg

The maxtor 5T030H3 is the 27gb
The maxtor STM3160812A is the 149Gb
so where is the 500gb sata?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You need to go into disk management and see if it lists it in there. Its possible it just needs partitioned and formatted to be seen. HD's do go bad.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What about a friends computer? Can you take a screenshot of disk management for me?

stevedude

well i'm at school now in my troubleshooting computers class and my teacher says that Disk 0 is probably it and i have to right click on it and do something like make it valid or something

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
well i'm at school now in my troubleshooting computers class and my teacher says that Disk 0 is probably it and i have to right click on it and do something like make it valid or something
Yes it's likely disk 0. Did you have it setup in a software RAID or something? It's showing as a dynamic disk.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Ok...Do you happen to have the disks that were in the RAID with it? Putting them back in may make it usable again. If not, you probably need to wipe the drive entirely.

stevedude

Ok...Do you happen to have the disks that were in the RAID with it? Putting them back in may make it usable again. If not, you probably need to wipe the drive entirely.

well i just changed the settings in the bios to raid but i changed it back now. And wiping the drive isn't a problem

stevedude

Try the procedure here to convert it back to basic disk. This is a known issue with dynamic disks.

wow i cannot believe how easy that was! i just right-clicked on disk 0 and clicked convert to basic disk then i clicked new spanned volume and assigned the letter Z for it!

Thanks everyone i didn't think it would be so easy

konsole

if you dont mind losing the data on that drive I would try creating a new partition and formatting. I had a problem not long ago with were I erased the partition on a drive and the drive wasnt showing in windows anymore but was in the bios. So I used the windows dvd and recreated a partition and formatted the drive and afterwards it was recognized again in windows.