SATA seems to be slllooooowwww

Grimulus

It seems as if my SATA hard drive is reading a little slow...things get very jerky at times while gaming...and I have a gig of ram so don't say that's it. :p

is there any type of settings or anything to check for???

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
It seems as if my SATA hard drive is reading a little slow...things get very jerky at times while gaming

K i wont say it's your ram :).. I will say however it's more likely to be a video card setting are somthing running in the background or a messy system (spyware) and such before I'd blame the HD.

When gamming, the game is pretty much loaded into memory and accesses the HD durring level loads and such (Most games) If however you do find that the HD is being accessed alot durring your game then it's possible that something else besides the game is too blame.

Last edited:

Grimulus

how can i tell if it is running in ATA7?

and btw, windows is on a different drive, so if i move the swap file over, could that help quite a bit?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
and btw, windows is on a different drive, so if i move the swap file over, could that help quite a bit?

There is supposed to be benifits in doing that yup but you'll want that drive to be pretty quick still.

Also set your minimum and maximum size for your swap file the same.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Right click my computer, goto properties, click advanced tab, click settings (under Performance), click advanced, click change (under virtual memory), put a check in custom size, make initial and maximum size the same.

Usualy what you can just do is use the maximum size number for the initial size should be about 1 &1/2 amount of physical ram. although your not going to hurt anything if you put less or more but you may have performance issues say if you put 1 LOL all you'd have to do is go back and try a different value.

Grimulus

haha...i'm stupid...yeah, i have 2 drives. games are on one, and windows and a few programs that don't take up much space are on another....so how is the allocation suppose to go????

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
you see where it says recommended? use that number for both initial and maximum size and reboot if it asks for it and your done.

If you choose to change the drive the swap file sits on then just set the swap file to 0 and then highlight the other drive and follow the instructions giving previously.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
oh ya one more thing :). you usualy want the swap file on a seperate drive then the applications your running which is the whole point to it in the first place so if you have Windows on one drive and games on another you would prob want to leave the file on the drive it's on for improved game performance.

Grimulus

i just want to see if it makes a difference. i've heard both. i've never done this so where do you change the file at?

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
i just want to see if it makes a difference. i've heard both. i've never done this so where do you change the file at?

I dont understand, I've already given you the steps to change it.

Right click my computer, goto properties, click advanced tab, click settings (under Performance), click advanced, click change (under virtual memory), put a check in custom size, make initial and maximum size the same.

Usualy what you can just do is use the maximum size number for the initial size should be about 1 &1/2 amount of physical ram. although your not going to hurt anything if you put less or more but you may have performance issues say if you put 1 LOL all you'd have to do is go back and try a different value.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
how can I tell if it is running in ATA7?
Device manager --> <controller> --> 2nd tab

windows is on a different drive, so if I move the swap file over, could that help quite a bit?
it helps but not an earth shattering difference

Also set your minimum and maximum size for your swap file the same.
or disable swap altogether

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
If you choose to change the drive the swap file sits on then just set the swap file to 0 and then highlight the other drive and follow the instructions giving previously.

Yup I've already metioned moving the swap from one HD to another.

Grimulus

i've looked there and don't know what's going on...i guess i need detail. :p

i'm sorry, i normally can do these kinds of things.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
i've looked there and don't know what's going on...i guess i need detail.

i'm sorry, i normally can do these kinds of things.

It's cool :). Let me go through this once more.

Change swapfile size and change swapfile drive:

- right click my computer.
- click on properties.
- click on advanced.
- click on settings under the performance section (visual effects,processer scheduling,memory usage,and virtual memory)
- click on advanced (next window)
- click change under virutual memory (you'll all your hard drives)
- choose custom size
- set your swapfile to zero (0) for initial size.
- set your swapfile to zero (0) for maximum size.
- click on set.
- click on the drive you want your swapfile to be on (example: drive D : )
- choose custom size.
- set initial size to aprox 1 1/2 of your ram. (1gb= 1536)
- set maximum size to the same as initial size (1536)
- click on set.
- click on ok and close all windows (reboot if windows prompts.

there I hope I did not miss something to further confuse the situation.

it helps but not an earth shattering difference

As praetor pointed out. It does help but not a world of difference but whith this small yet simple change as well as many others that can be performed such as turning off unneeded services can greatly improve overal performance of the operating system.

Last edited: