SATA to 4-Pin Peripheral adapter?

Discussion in 'Computer Cases, Power Supplies and Cooling' started by Nick.D, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Nick.D

Nick.D Member

So I'm in an annoying situation right now... I was in the middle of a playthrough of a new game, then my power supply broke. I have a backup, but it isn't powerful enough to run my graphics card, so I have to use my on-board gpu--and the newest games that that can run are from ~2003ish... So I went through a bunch of trouble to get a power supply from one of my older computers (which was actually in a different state... It's a long story), and after about 2 weeks of waiting for it, it doesn't have any 4-pin peripheral power cables, which my video card needs 4 of! It does however, have a bunch of extra SATA cables, which I think replaced the 4-pin cables, so it should do a similar thing?... Are there adapters that can help me out here, and if so, where would I get them?

2. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

beers likes this.
  3. Nick.D

Nick.D Member

The video card is a GeForce GTX 660, and the power supply I wanted to use the adapters on is 660 watts, as for it's name I've got no clue--It's all in Chinese.

Also, this is what I meant when I was talking about the 4-pin power cable.

Attached Files:

4. johnb35

johnb35 Administrator Staff Member

A gtx 660 should only require 1 - 6pin pci express power connector from the power supply. I'm sure a 660 watt psu will have a 6pin connector.

The connector will look like this, connector on the right.

6+2.jpg

5. Nick.D

Nick.D Member

...I'm a moron. It requires 2 of those, and the 2 that came with it happened to have a slot where you can plug in the cable I was talking about. It just occurred to me that I can unplug the ones that came with it, and use those. Thanks

6. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

You'd honestly be better off with a newer PSU, most no-name chinese ones are bad enough to be a fire hazard. The difference in efficiency will pay for itself over time.

Darren likes this.
  7. Darren

Darren Moderator Staff Member

And you can usually use them for several years and multiple builds depending on much you upgrade. My original CX600, a relatively cheap but decent power supply, is kicking along in a friends build. Bought it in 2011 and used it near constantly.