SATA to 4-Pin Peripheral adapter?

Nick.D

So I'm in an annoying situation right now... I was in the middle of a playthrough of a new game, then my power supply broke. I have a backup, but it isn't powerful enough to run my graphics card, so I have to use my on-board gpu--and the newest games that that can run are from ~2003ish... So I went through a bunch of trouble to get a power supply from one of my older computers (which was actually in a different state... It's a long story), and after about 2 weeks of waiting for it, it doesn't have any 4-pin peripheral power cables, which my video card needs 4 of! It does however, have a bunch of extra SATA cables, which I think replaced the 4-pin cables, so it should do a similar thing?... Are there adapters that can help me out here, and if so, where would I get them?

Nick.D

https://www.amazon.com/Branded-8inch-15pin-Express-Power/dp/B005NJXY7O

However, what exact video card do you have and what power supply are you using? Your best bet is to get a power supply that already has these connectors and you'll take a chance on blowing the psu.
The video card is a GeForce GTX 660, and the power supply I wanted to use the adapters on is 660 watts, as for it's name I've got no clue--It's all in Chinese.

Also, this is what I meant when I was talking about the 4-pin power cable.

Attachments

• peripheralindex.jpg
    peripheralindex.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 2

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A gtx 660 should only require 1 - 6pin pci express power connector from the power supply. I'm sure a 660 watt psu will have a 6pin connector.

The connector will look like this, connector on the right.

6+2.jpg

Nick.D

A gtx 660 should only require 1 - 6pin pci express power connector from the power supply. I'm sure a 660 watt psu will have a 6pin connector.

The connector will look like this, connector on the right.

View attachment 7500
...I'm a moron. It requires 2 of those, and the 2 that came with it happened to have a slot where you can plug in the cable I was talking about. It just occurred to me that I can unplug the ones that came with it, and use those. Thanks

beers

Staff member
the power supply I wanted to use the adapters on is 660 watts, as for it's name I've got no clue--It's all in Chinese.
You'd honestly be better off with a newer PSU, most no-name chinese ones are bad enough to be a fire hazard. The difference in efficiency will pay for itself over time.

Darren

Staff member
You'd honestly be better off with a newer PSU, most no-name chinese ones are bad enough to be a fire hazard. The difference in efficiency will pay for itself over time.
And you can usually use them for several years and multiple builds depending on much you upgrade. My original CX600, a relatively cheap but decent power supply, is kicking along in a friends build. Bought it in 2011 and used it near constantly.