Sata2?!

Gnorphy

Where can you buy a hard drive with sata2 a.k.a sata with 3gb/s? :confused:

I have a mobo (A8N-SLI DELUXE) and i would like to use the sata2 interface...

WHERE?! TELL ME PLEASE! :)

dave597

VIP Member
oh thats transfer in gigabits per second not gigabytes, roughly speaking divide by 8 to get it into bytes.

dave597

VIP Member
look on the websites i gave you earlier, note down the manufacturer and model number then search around for that for the best prices, sorry i cant help you more than that since i have no interest in buying a sata2 drive myself.

i suppose you have to weight up the cost vs speed of sata 1 drives as well. are you going to be doing a lot of video editing - or file transfer if so then yes its worth the extra.

Switch

The fastest drives I know of right now are the WD Raptors, 10K RPM SATA drives. The 74 Gb has a 4.5 ms seek time, the 36.7 Gb has a 5.3 ms seek time. (That can make a difference sometimes) They both push 150 MB per second.

I run 2 of the 36.7 raptors in my tower PC, raid 1, with 1 Gb of DDR 400 RAM, and and AMD 3000+ 400 FSB CPU. (Socket A)

That thing is very fast... :)

Your machine would be even faster than mine with that 64 bit CPU and (2) 74 Gb raptors in there on raid 1 (mirrored) array.
Go for a Gig of RAM, it is cheap enough and well worth it in a PC like you have.

BTW, that board you have is awesome,..great choice. :)

dave597

VIP Member
those raptors are tiny though - my music collection is bigger than 36.7 gig :) theyre only useful for booting an o/s and or running a few games imo

Yeti

VIP Member
those raptors are tiny though - my music collection is bigger than 36.7 gig
And a 5400 rpm drive would be fine for music. IMO Raptors have their use in extreme situations but they're not worth the money for most applications.