Saving Ethernet adapters/drivers- help needed

The Nightingale

I'm new to the board, so sorry if I've posted this in the wrong forum. :eek:

My computer connects to the internet via a thomson 546 router, the software I use is AOL.9 (It's broadband, not dial up). My brothers laptop also connects to the internet using the same router (his is the master computer by the way).

Anyway to get to the point I'm going to wipe my drive and fresh install, but I want to save all the installed drivers/adapters to a disc so I'll be able to get onto the net again straight away. I have a Belkin PCI card, which is installed inside the computer (motherboard I think). A yellow cable connects from an ethernet port to the router. A speedtouch disc came with the router which allows me to configure the router so it will work with my PC and allow me online.

I've been told by a few people that I sould be able to go to the official websites of the makers of the drivers and download all the drivers/ethernet adapters in advance and burn them to a disc. It's really important that I can get online straight after the format, and I can't afford for anything to go wrong. Here are my questions.

1. Could someone tell me exactly which drivers I need to save (using the info I provided). And give a direct link to the websites where I can download them?

2. Will I be okay saving the drivers to normal CDs or DVDs?

3. When I want to put them on my new copy of windows, how will I load them and where will I put them?

4. Is there anyway of saving the router's current configuration, I don't want to mess up anything on my brothers laptop (as I said before, he connects through the same router).

That's it! If anyone could give me a little help I would be very grateful. If this topic is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it.

Thanks

Trizoy

VIP Member
1. Youy havent given us the correct info to get you a driver. I need to know what type of Ethernet Card you connect with. When you reformat WINXP might have the driver for it, you should download it though. You can find out what type it is by.. Right click my computer---->properties---->hardware tab--->device manager--->network adaptors

What does it call the adaptor? I will simply go to the manufacturers website and send you a link for the correct driver.

2. Yes cd will be fine. Make sure they are burned correctly before starting.

3. To install the newest drivers you will simply double click the file you saved on the cds earlier. They will simply install on their own.

4. There is usuallu a way in the router setup options to save current config, but your wont be changing any of that. Think of the router as a whole different computer which helps you connect to the internet. It saves its own settings inside itself.

Let me know if you need any more help.

The Nightingale

Thanks for replying.

I've followed the instructions to find network adapters and there isn't a heading that says that. I know there should be, we had a computer expert round our house a few weeks ago and he said that even though it is working the adapters won't show up under device manager. Is there any other way I can find them?

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
You mentioned you had a Belkin PCI card installed inside the computer. Can you take it out, write down any serial numbers on it, plug it back in, and post them here. That should give us the details we need to find the drivers. Failing that, a program like Driver Magic should tell you what network adapter you have installed.

The Nightingale

elmarcorulz said:
You mentioned you had a Belkin PCI card installed inside the computer. Can you take it out, write down any serial numbers on it, plug it back in, and post them here. That should give us the details we need to find the drivers. Failing that, a program like Driver Magic should tell you what network adapter you have installed.

The only problem is it costs over twenty five dollars, is it on a trial and if so can you get rid of it by unistalling?

StrangleHold

Staff member
The Nightingale said:
Thanks for replying.

I've followed the instructions to find network adapters and there isn't a heading that says that. I know there should be, we had a computer expert round our house a few weeks ago and he said that even though it is working the adapters won't show up under device manager. Is there any other way I can find them?

Dont know why he would say that, It should be in Control Panel, Systems, Hardware, Device Manger under Network Adapters

If not try this, its free

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Last edited:

The Nightingale

Right, I'm back. This time with the names of all the network adapters! :D

Here's the list:

PCI bus
Via Tech PCI to ISA bridge
Via Tech CPU to PCI bridge
Realtek RTL8 139 Family fast ( I'm not sure what it says after "fast", there are just dotted lines, I think it may have been ethernet card though)
Micrsoft TV/Video connection
Globe span USB ADSL
WAN miniport (ATW)
WAN miniport (IP)
Direct parallel
WAN miniport (PPPOE)
WAN miniport (PPTP)
WAN Miniport (L2TP)
Packet scheduler miniport
RAS Async Adapter
D-Link DFE- 5307X
PCI fast ethernet

I found all of these using driver magic. At the end of each of these were codes, if you need these to get me the driver just let me know and I'll post them up.

Thanks for all the help.

The Nightingale

The Nightingale

StrangleHold said:
Just the first one

Sorry, it's probably just me being slow. But when you say `just the first one` do you mean just the realtek driver or do you mean just the first miniport?

If the latter, how do I save a miniport?

Sorry about all the questions.

StrangleHold

Staff member
The Nightingale said:
Sorry, it's probably just me being slow. But when you say `just the first one` do you mean just the realtek driver or do you mean just the first miniport?

If the latter, how do I save a miniport?

Sorry about all the questions.
Just the realtek driver

The Nightingale

Sorry back again!

Seen as I've never done this before I just need to confirm with you that the realtek is the only thing I will need to download in order to get back online after the format? Sorry to be a pain, but I'd hate to do anything wrong! :confused:

About the router, as I've said it's a thomson 546 and my brother uses it get online as well (his is the master PC, I get on mine under one of the screenames). He works from home usually, but sometimes works in another location at an office. He uses dial up at the office and broadband at home, he had to change something through the thomson website, he created a new screename because if he logs on under his current one it he will be doing it through the router, and seen as the router isn't with him at the office he can't get online.

The problem is when I do the format and then put the driver back on I don't want to ruin anything with his PC.

1. Could someone tell me how to save the configuration so I don't have to run the speedtouch disc again and mess everything up for my brother.

2. Will I need to run the speedtouch again even if I save the configuration?

If you require any more info about the router just let me know!:D

Thanks again for all the help.:)

The Nightingale

StrangleHold said:
The router settings will stay the same, dont have to worry about it.

Is the router actually installed on the PC though? If I do the following will the router configuraion/settings be the same:

Wipe my harddrive and Operating system
Reinstall the OS
Reinstall realtek driver
Reinstall AOL.9 (broadband gold+)

Will I then be allowed to conect to the internet again without any problems? On the AOL start screen there is a box for my password and a drop-down list with all the screenames. The first is my brother (master computers) screename, then there's guest, then my screename and then the other screename that he uses at the office for dial up, will al that be exactly the same?

And as I asked in my first post when I reinstall the realtek driver, when I insert the CD with it on will it simply appear and then I click on it to install it automatically as someone said? Or would I have to go to the CD Drive and then click on it?

Also: can someone just confirm for me that I definitely don't have to run the speedtouch disc on my PC after the format to get back online?

Finally, what do I do if the driver won't install, I know it's very unlikely, but it's best if I'm prepared. Is there anything I could do to make it install if it doesn't do so automatically?

Sorry about all the daft questions, I know they are getting a bit repetitive- but I just want to be sure I've done everything right. :)

Last edited: