Scanned lots of private documents at work to PC's folder. Can anyone read them after I deleted them?

textbook

I scanned lots of private stuff to work folder on work's PC then after copying them to personal HDD I deleted them all off the computers folder they are sent to and then from recycling bin. I just saw a report showing the history and dates of all scans. Mostly to people's emails but then on the day I scanned to document scanned folder. They don't know it was me scanning and they are deleted but could they go back into scanner and see the scans?

Agent Smith

You can recover deleted data, yes. If you think no one will use a program to try and retrieve this data you have nothing to worry about. If you need to make sure the deleted data can't be recovered the use the program Eraser. Use the "unused disk space" option. And make DAMN sure it's the option "unused disk space" otherwise you will delete your hard drive. I'm not even sure if it will let you though. But chose "unused disk space."

Right click, select New Task.

q7d44M1.jpg

Select run manually and click add data.

OzMiyet.jpg

Target type: unused space. Eraser method: the second option that reads DoD. Select C drive. Erase cluster tips.

VFYZJcg.jpg

Right click the task. Select Run Now.

fqwPNAp.jpg

Depending on how big the hard drive is this could take a while. Plan on an hour or more. You could could chose the 3 pass wipe method. But like I said, if you don't think anyone will use recovery software there's no need to do this at all.

johnnyb58

I don't know about scans, but I know my old job required us to destroy the hard drives inside all copy machines before disposing them. At first I didn't know why and then I saw something on a news report about people stealing information from discarded copy machines. I'm no expert, but I would think scanners are pretty much the same as copy machines.