Scanning 35mm Transparencies to Digital

shamrock838

Scanning 35mm Transparencies to Digital:

As a nonfiction writer/photographer of tenure, I have m-a-n-y 35mm color transparencies (slides) from pre-digital days that I took with care using a film-based Minolta X-700 SLR. I preserved these in archival 35mm slide pages over the years.

My aim is to digitize and add the best of these images to my existing complement of digital files and finally submit them as supporting illustrations for upcoming magazine articles. [I now use a Canon 50D DSLR.]

I have a backup Dell Latitude D820 laptop [XP Professional] – plus a Minolta AF-2840 Dimage Scan Dual III scanner -- that accepts individual 35mm slides (4 to a tray). What I do is cut off the old cardboard mounts, blow-dust any dirt specks, clean each slide with PEC-12 emulsion cleaner and PEC lint-free wipes and remount them in clean GEPE glassless plastic snap mounts. Finally, I do a “highest resolution” (TIFF) scan at 32,535,870 MB per image.

On my main Dell Vostro 420 desktop [Vista Business 32] I use Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 Ultimate for final image processing. As some of the slides may need exposure correction, I use Pro Photo’s “one-step photo fix” to optimize exposure. Are there better ways to digitize those old 35mm slides for publication?

Thanks.

tremmor

I have a dedicated Nikon Cool Scan. Only does slides and negatives. Not cheap.

One suggestion is stores. I suspect they do slides. I know they do negatives. I suspect you could have it done for reasonable price. Also I never print pictures any more. Just upload all the pictures for about 7 cents a print and pick them up at end of day.

another thought about stores. depending where ya live. walmart, meijers, kmart, drug stores etc.

I think you could get good results with a flat bed scanner. i have one that does negatives and slides. i will have to try it.

good luck with this adventure. its another learning curve.
tremmor

Last edited: