Screen artifacts. Lenovo ThinkPad T450

willywerton

i am no technician, electrician or a person who understands how computers work - just a regular user.

The artifacts appeared only today after the notebook was left on sleep mode for the night. Actually, I always leave my laptop on sleep mode when i am not using it instead of shutting it down. The notebook was almost never overloaded or overheated.

Two videos showing them on the desktop and during the loading of a game(sorry for the low quality):

The origins of the artifacts are separated into three sections on the screen.
The artifacts seem to occur around dark spots.
The artifacts occur during booting..
There are no artifacts on an external monitor connected through VGA.

What are these artifacts?

willywerton

Just found out that if you shake, bend or just move the screen along its normal trajectory, the artifacts worsen. Is the screen broken or is there a possibility that the cable that connects to the mother board loosened?

willywerton

I decided to get to the connector of the screen by removing the frame of the screen and getting the screen out. The are no issues with the connector. After turning on the notebook without the frame and literally poking around the screen, applying some pressure to find a spot where most artifacts and i found out that something is the culprit inside this panel that's attached to the screen itself:
s-l640.jpg

It's like on the image - a black film that covers some circuits under it. It's shown in this video where I am poking it:

In the video the noise sometimes multiplies, sometimes completely disappears depending on the spot i poke.
Is there something that's causing noise down there? is the black film causing noise? What should I do?

willywerton

Maybe the problem lies in the junction between the display chip and the screen itself. I hope that's no the case, because that sounds very problematic.

willywerton

I really hope I didn't do any permanent damage to anything and will be able to put all this stuff back on later.

I partially removed the black tape that was covering the chip:
IMG-20191105-045220.jpg

There are three of these super flat gold pin connectors which that are connected to the screen, placed across the display chip. The one in the middle is the culprit:

The one in the middle:
IMG-20191105-045339.jpg

Poking it causes changes in the artifacts occurrence.
i don't know what is causing the issue.
The only difference I see between the one in the middle with the other ones is that the light from the screen illumination is coming from under it.

The one on the right:
IMG-20191105-045255.jpg
\

Darren

Staff member
It's a damaged LCD. Pull the part number off the back and order a matching one thru Ebay or your preferred vendor. You're that far, the swap back in is cake. There should be a ribbon cable plug on the back of the screen.

Don't touch the bar you've been touching, liable to short it out. Only piece you should have to handle is the LCD connector cable into the back of the screen. Looks like the screen screws into a frame which you might have to remove first though.

willywerton

It's a damaged LCD. Pull the part number off the back and order a matching one thru Ebay or your preferred vendor. You're that far, the swap back in is cake. There should be a ribbon cable plug on the back of the screen.

Don't touch the bar you've been touching, liable to short it out. Only piece you should have to handle is the LCD connector cable into the back of the screen. Looks like the screen screws into a frame which you might have to remove first though.

Is it possible to treat it somehow at least temporarily? Sometimes the artifacts completely disappear for a while until I disturb the problematic place again. It seems there are people in the internet who were able to put these connectors back on from them being completely disconnected. In the end, i'll still need to buy a new screen, but maybe I can try something, no?

Darren

Staff member
I wouldn't jack with it. LCD panels are pretty delicate and you're liable to just make it worse. If it's damaged it's damaged, apply pressure in random places might help briefly.

Best bet is run thru an external monitor if you've got a spare one around.

willywerton

I wouldn't jack with it. LCD panels are pretty delicate and you're liable to just make it worse. If it's damaged it's damaged, apply pressure in random places might help briefly.

Best bet is run thru an external monitor if you've got a spare one around.

You are right. I better just buy a new screen. I do have an external monitor. I'll use it for a while until the replacement arrives.