Screen capture for cheap?

ikermalli

Hey everyone,

I know I haven't been here in a while, I have a mac now, but my friend makes youtube videos and he wants to record his video games for cheap. Is there a software and a few cables that could get it done? It has to be cheap though, like maybe a few A/V cables and some free software? Thanks for the help guys!

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Do you need it to be Mac compatible? I'd just do a Google search and see what pops up... You will need to buy a converter box or cables of some sort, though.

ikermalli

Nope, it has to be for PCs, I was just telling everyone that I'm not here because I have one, but my friend needs one, yeah, I was thinking getting some A/V cables to hook into his laptop then the game would show up on his laptop, and then he uses a screen recorder, but I'm not 100% sure, so I want to ask people here, capture cards cost too much for him

DCIScouts

VIP Member
If you can get some cables that will connect into the laptop, you can probably get some capture software for free downloaded, not sure how good it will be; but hey, it's free, won't hurt to give it a shot...

EDIT: The problem is going to be trying to get the ports to act as an input on the laptop, most of the time they are designed for using and external monitor on a laptop, which is why many people resort to the capture cards you mentioned.

Last edited:

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Most screen capture software you need to select what input you are sending the video feed through, although not all. This is where the hitch is, since like I said, most ports on laptops are designed for output, not input; although they don't always have to be locked into that format. As for the cables, you need to determine what ports you are going to use on the gaming device as the output, and what ports you are going to use as the input on the laptop and get the corresponding cables/converters.

ikermalli

For output, it would be the SD cables from the Xbox 360 (Red, Yellow, White) I don't know about the input though, probably VGA though. Does that help?

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Those are RCA, and the yellow is the one for video, the red and white is for audio (use both for stereo, one or the other for mono). You might be able to use the VGA port on the computer, but you'll need a converter of some sort, which will cost a bit... You know, I think that for about $40 you can get some decent software and a converter box that will go through the USB with all the necessary cables. Is that still too expensive?

ikermalli

No, 40 should be great for him, could you post a link please? Tigerdirect.ca would be preffered, futureshop.ca and bestbuy.ca are also fine, thanks a lot!

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Not familiar with this brand, but this is one option:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1048731&CatId=1427

This is the exact product that I had in mind, but it's a little more than I remember it being...:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...65000FS10093574&catid=10599&logon=&langid=EN#

Yeah, I found the above Honestech product at a US site for $70 USD, still more than I thought I recalled... The first option I gave you looks decent, but the product from futureshop will be much better if he can justify affording it; it will definitely come in handy to have around in the future.

ikermalli

The sabrent would be right for him, how would he hook it into his laptop though? He couldn't justify spending that much, he only makes youtube videos, and he has to pay for other stuff like paintball and his addiction to energy drinks lol

ikermalli

Alright, I'll find that myself, thanks! You've been a great help! Is there a way I could +1 rep you other than saying +1 :p?

ikermalli

Thanks! Yeah, but you answered in only a few minutes of my posts, and this late (well... early... it's 2:30 am here)

chrisalv14

banned
hypercam 2
- thats what i sometimes use.
i have the fully registered version but when you download you can have a unregistered version and it never expires.

Aastii

VIP Member
If you can find it (i can't no matter ho hard i try:() then there is a program called "desktop activity recorder" that is 100% free and records what is on the desktop, in or out of games. It can capture sound coming from a mic, so you can talk on the videos, or from the speakers, so you can have the sound exactly as you hear it in the game.

You will also need video editing software. For something free then if your friend has vista then it comes with windows movie maker. I have never had a mac so if it comes with a piece of video editing software then i am sure that will work too.