Screen keeps going black and becoming non responsive

Xander95

Ever since I installed my new GTX 1050Ti, I have been having problems. My computer keeps going black and becoming unresponsive. I am not sure if it is a problem with the graphics card but it is really starting to get to me. It's worse now since I upgraded to Windows 10. So what's going on? And I know the upgrade is legit because I got it from Microsoft.

JLuchinski

Does it do it at random or while gaming or doing gpu intensive tasks? What PSU do you have? Are the drivers up to date? Is everything installed securely?

Xander95

Everything is up to date and installed securely and I know for a fact I have enough power to power everything. And no it hasn't been doing anything that would strain the GPU. It just does it at random. Sometimes a few minutes after logging on.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would say you have a fault video card. You only need a good 450 watt power supply to run the 1050ti.

JLuchinski

Sounds like a faulty card, do you have an older card you can put in your system to rule out the motherboard?

Xander95

Sounds like a faulty card, do you have an older card you can put in your system to rule out the motherboard?
No. All I have is an integrated graphics which works fine. But it can't be a faulty card. I mean I've gone days with it running without a problem.

Xander95

They are running. And I just got to thinking and I think I will possible reinstall a couple of my parts. I think if I reinstall the graphics card and the processor, it MIGHT fix the problem. Because the card was undamaged when I got it.

Laquer Head

Have you checked stuff like using a different DP or HDMI cable?

Completely uninstall all Nvidia software and install current package fresh (clean install)?

Don't have shit like afterburner or other tweaker type programs running?

Double check you Sleep/Hibernate settings?

Make sure nothing is loose in your rig and nothing is shorting out on the case - dont matter if it was 'fine' before, shit happens with PC and its probably something simple, or worst case - a defective GPU which may require an RMA

Xander95

Have you checked stuff like using a different DP or HDMI cable?

Completely uninstall all Nvidia software and install current package fresh (clean install)?

Don't have shit like afterburner or other tweaker type programs running?

Double check you Sleep/Hibernate settings?

Make sure nothing is loose in your rig and nothing is shorting out on the case - dont matter if it was 'fine' before, shit happens with PC and its probably something simple, or worst case - a defective GPU which may require an RMA
I plan on uninstalling all overclocking software, hoping that works. And along with it I plan on reinstalling the hardware. Hopefully doing all that fixes it.

Xander95

So I may have figured out the problem. When I overclocked the GPU, I even increased how much power it would pull. I think doing that is what started to **** up my system. I pulled the graphics card and it's running just fine now with the R7 integrated graphics it had originally. I'm gonna be uninstalling all OC software and then reinstalling the GPU.

JLuchinski

Haha yeah I did the same thing with the same card, I accidentally applied a 500 mhz overclock, as soon as the overclocking software loaded up and applied the overclock screen went black, I thought I fried my card.

Xander95

Haha yeah I did the same thing with the same card, I accidentally applied a 500 mhz overclock, as soon as the overclocking software loaded up and applied the overclock screen went black, I thought I fried my card.
Well I uninstalled MSI Afterburner and GPU Tweak II and now it's running perfectly. So yeah. Not gonna OC my shit till I get a better power supply.

JLuchinski

How much did you set your over clock? It's best to do small increments, about 5 mhz then run a benchmark and repeat until you get the program has stopped responding then dial it back from there. And a good power supply is always highly recommended over the cheap ones. But honestly unless your going for high benchmark scores and your games are running just fine then there really isn't much need for overclocking.

beers

Staff member
How much did you overclock it?

If you just said screw it and slid the slider to maximum value, no wonder it didn't work.

What specific PSU do you have? I don't imagine replacing it will give you any difference if at all.