Screen shuts off randomly

ferrari353

Okay so my grandma's computer has been acting weird lately. After about 30 minutes from start up, the screen will just go blank. You can turn off the monitor and turn it back on and the screen will stay up for a few seconds then go blank again. If you let it sit for a few minutes, then it will go another 20-30 minutes before doing it again. My cousin said maybe it's just a bad monitor. I checked all the connections to and from the computer, monitor, and outlets. Can anyone suggest a problem to fix it or do we just need to buy a new one? It's a Dell flat panel monitor and computer.
Thanks in advance!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried using a different monitor to make sure its not the video card in the computer? Or trying that monitor on a different computer to see if it works normally?

ferrari353

@johnb35:No, I don't have another monitor to try it with. and no I haven't tried it with a diff comp.

@dwaynep:How do I fix it then?

@Atomic Rooster: no, but even if that was the problem, why would it continue to turn off even after I turn it back on. Also, the less time I let it sit, the less time before it happens again. Like if I only wait a minute or two, it only lasts 8 minutes.

Also, I think my cousin used to do computer repair stuff, so I can ask him.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like either the video card or the monitor, seems when something is getting hot it shuts down. You'll definately need to try a different monitor and a different computer to see exactly whats going out.