Screen too small

Kboy

My dad has a Dell Inspiron 1100, and because I am slightly knowledgeable in computer matters, he expects me to fix his laptop when something goes wrong in it. Right now the main problem is that the screen is about 2 1/2" too small on all sides. The screen should be 14.1", but it's only about 8". The resolution and color is fine, but I can't seem to make the screen bigger with anything in the display part of the control panel. I hope someone has an idea at how to fix this. He only uses the laptop for work, so it doesn't really affect it's use, but obviously, it's extremely annoying.

Echo_

hmmm thats really odd.. i have never seen this.

is it still under warrenty?

or actually
check your graphx card settings because there is something to make the screen bigger through the graphx card

Bobo

banned
Kboy said:
My dad has a Dell Inspiron 1100, and because I am slightly knowledgeable in computer matters, he expects me to fix his laptop when something goes wrong in it. Right now the main problem is that the screen is about 2 1/2" too small on all sides. The screen should be 14.1", but it's only about 8". The resolution and color is fine, but I can't seem to make the screen bigger with anything in the display part of the control panel. I hope someone has an idea at how to fix this. He only uses the laptop for work, so it doesn't really affect it's use, but obviously, it's extremely annoying.

I dunno how the heck to do this with a laptop, but there are buttons on my desktop monitor that do everything just monitorish. They are on every monitor, but I dunno about laptops

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hmmm...

:D There are settings in the display settings which either center the resolution selected or stretch it to fill the whole screen. My friend's laptop does that. I therefore set it to the max and it worked on the full screen.

JAN

iDuncan21

Sounds like the properties aren't set up to use the maximum supported resolution. Try this:

1. Right-click on a blank spot on the desktop and select Properties.
2. Under the Settings tab, click on the Advanced button.
3. Under the ATI Displays tab, click the Panel button.
4. Check the option to Scale Image To Panel Size.
5. Apply the changes.

See if that does the trick. :)

Last edited:

Switch

lacey said:
i just got a knew laptop for christmas...its a toshiba...what kind do u have?
I have a Sony PCG-FRV 28, about 1.5 years old.

Intel 2.8 533 FSB

512 Mb PC2700 RAM

100 Gb Seagate 5400 RPM Hard drive (recent upgrade from the Fujitsu 40 Gb 4200 RPM)

As far as the Dell laptop is concerned, you may want to update the video drivers as well, just to be safe. Why? Because you never know what that other person may have done to cause the problem.