Screwdriver for installation?

sarym

Okay so I am looking to buy my PC today and set it up when it gets here. Preparing for it I found out my tools are gone (had barely anything to begin with)

Now question I got is there any specific type of screwdriver / tools Ill need for setting up? Purchasing all my parts via newegg I went ahead and searched for something and found this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899261025

Will that be all I need for installing a PC?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need a screwdriver for installing your PC, LOL

edit: sorry johnb35, I'm just not very experienced with computers, so I guess I was wrong.

Philips screwdriver to install screws into standoffs to support motherboard from touching case, also depending on the case you picked you may need a screw to attach any addin cards, like video, sound, etc. Also if you bought an aftermarket heatsink you will need to usually remove motherboard plate to install a different one.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
OMG you know my friend fluffiness succeeded in not identifying herself :p

don't dwell on it, John, please.

Too late, You'll never be welcome here. Bye Bye.

Sarym,

Please ignore dashings comments, nothing but a troublemaker.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Johhhhnnn
I'm Fluffiness's friend. I don't even live remotely near fluffiness. Honestly, John, maybe you ought to verify who it really is in your logs rather than ****IN ASSUME STUFF !!!

No you aren't. You aren't hiding yourself very good. Bye again.

spirit

Staff member
I've never known anybody quite so desperate to troll on a forum. Quite pathetic really.

Anyway, back on topic - yes you will need a Phillips screwdriver for installing the motherboard and depending on the case you are going to be using you may also need a screwdriver for screwing in hard drives, optical drives, graphics cards and side panels. Some cases these days are tool-less in that respect though - sometimes they use thumb screws which usually don't require a screwdriver or plastic clips.

Remember to ground yourself too when building your PC. Touch a grounded piece of metal to eliminate all the charge in your body to minimise the risk of damaging components because of ESD.

Kesava

If we can get back to the OP's original question, as others have stated, you'll usually only need a philps screwdriver, depending on what parts you're fitting.

However just to be safe (and in case philip doesn't want to lend you his screwdriver), I'd highly recommend grabbing the following from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA25V0PN3041

You'll save yourself a lot of time and hassle by being prepared with the right tools.

Last edited: