SD card problem(?)

Shinnen

Hey all,
I have an 8gig sd card that wasn't always working; so I decided to wipe it and start over. When I partition it (fat32 for my camera), there remains a 7.84 mb unallocated partition. Is this normal?
Thanks,
..... john

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you letting your camera do it? Normally if a card needs formatted then the camera will detect it when its inserted.

Shinnen

Yes, but that's not my concern. I'm really wondering if the 7.84 mb partition is a result of the formatting process, or is there something on the card that shouldn't be there?
....... john

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Probably has something to do with the way the camera formats it. Don't know for sure though. Would have to know model of camera and research it.

spirit

Staff member
I'm pretty sure the 32GB cards I put in my Nikon D3200 show up as 29GB in Windows and the 64GB ones show up as about 59GB - how big is yours showing up as in Windows? It should be about 7.5GB.

Laquer Head

I'm pretty sure the 32GB cards I put in my Nikon D3200 show up as 29GB in Windows and the 64GB ones show up as about 59GB - how big is yours showing up as in Windows? It should be about 7.5GB.

Any HDD, SSD, Memory card is going to come with less than the advertised capacity..its always been this way.

Some memory cards, however, do seem to have a pre-formatted portion, just like system reserved part on a normal HDD.

spirit

Staff member
Any HDD, SSD, Memory card is going to come with less than the advertised capacity..its always been this way.

Some memory cards, however, do seem to have a pre-formatted portion, just like system reserved part on a normal HDD.
Yeah I know. Can't tell if the user is questioning why the 8GB card isn't showing up as exactly 8GB or if there's something else that's being asked.

At the end of the day, memory is cheap, especially when buying a card as small as 8GB. If you're concerned, try another card out.

Laquer Head

Yeah I know. Can't tell if the user is questioning why the 8GB card isn't showing up as exactly 8GB or if there's something else that's being asked.

At the end of the day, memory is cheap, especially when buying a card as small as 8GB. If you're concerned, try another card out.

People worry and get bent out of shape about trivial things. For the cost of flash memory these days, I'd toss the card in the trash and buy a new one with 32gb, 64gb..etc and be done with it.

Shinnen

Hi,
Sorry about all the confusion. This is all before I put the card into the camera. When I create a fat32 partition on a wiped 8 gig card (using EaseUS partition manager); besides the fat32 partition, there shows up a 7.84mb partition. I'm just curious to know if this is normal.
.... john