SD card

gbud

I've used the same SD card on my DSLR for years with no problem. Today when I went to xfer my photos to my laptop via the SD card reader (like I have for years), as soon as I insert the card it asks me to format. Lightroom will not read any photos on the card, however when I put it back in the camera it shows the photos fine in preview. Tried formatting the card in my camera (sadly deleting all my photos) and it still will not read on my laptop. It recognizes when I insert the card but keeps asking to format. Tried other SD cards and the same thing happens.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem? Did the card reader in my laptop die?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Would try another card reader but it does sound like it. How is the drive formatted? fat32, ntfs?

gbud

I'm not exactly sure. They are 32GB Lexar Pro cards. Formatted within the Nikon D3300 DSLR camera. As far as I know the camera does not give any options for what file system to use.

Agent Smith

When you insert the SD card into your computer and go to format you will see the file system. You can cancel out of the format. The way SD cards work with garbage collection isn't too great, so you may have to replace it.

gbud

Okay, the default setting when formatting using the computer are FAT. But again, this is happening with two different SD cards and the photos showed up fine when inserted in the camera.

AlienMenace

You wouldn't have a cable for your camera where you can plug in to the camera and then to a usb slot would you. If you do, you can download pictures that way.
But it does sound like your card reader might died. Get a portable card reader then maybe.
And I read a few years back to format your SD card from time to time, to keep life into it.
And then again, it is like a SSD, so many read/writes to it. Will evidently go dead on you.
Maybe your card slot have a little dust in it.