Seagate ext hard drive not responding

Webjet52

Help!

I have a older seagate external drive that is not responding.

I can see the it in my computer page, when I click on it it just keeps on trying to open it.

I'm running Vista, I also tried to use it on my other 2 PCs with no luck.

What can I do.

Thanks,
Christina.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Either the enclosure is bad, or the drive is going bad. I'd first try booting into a live Linux CD (Such as Parted Magic) and see if you can access the drive.

If you still don't have luck, try removing the external enclosure of the drive and put it in another computer as a slave, or use a USB bridge like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002 Again, if Windows can't access it, try the Linux CD again.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
It can be that the partition is corrupted.
Can you delete ALL partitions and then format the HDD or is that also not working?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Christina, just so you know, if there is data on the drive you still need, don't attempt what Stars is suggesting just yet.

Webjet52

A few more tidbits of info that might help figuring this out.

I right clicked the computer icon, went to manage, then disk managment. It shows the drive as online, heathly and RAW.

Voyage, I will try what you said but I dont have the linux software or a cable for slave hookup yet.

I've messed around on google and found a few site that sell data recovery software. Should I go that route or wait?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
A few more tidbits of info that might help figuring this out.

I right clicked the computer icon, went to manage, then disk managment. It shows the drive as online, heathly and RAW.

Voyage, I will try what you said but I dont have the linux software or a cable for slave hookup yet.

I've messed around on google and found a few site that sell data recovery software. Should I go that route or wait?

Download parted magic (I'd provide a link, but I'm on my tablet - just google it). Burn it to a CD and see if you can access the drive.

Webjet52

Got into p magic. Managed to see the folders on the external but was not able to go any further. Which gives me a little hope.

What actions do I take once I can see the contents of the drive?

thanks so far,
Christina;)

Webjet52

Managed to open the folders, trying to open a word doc, its asking me to select another program, what works with word docs on linux?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
You can select the folders and copy them to your computer, or to another external hard disk.

Managed to open the folders, trying to open a word doc, its asking me to select another program, what works with word docs on linux?

Don't worry about that. For now, just copy the folders to another drive.

Webjet52

Do i save these folders on the desktop in linux, or is there a way to save in to the c drive on the PC?

Christina.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Do i save these folders on the desktop in linux, or is there a way to save in to the c drive on the PC?

Christina.

Just save it directly to the C:\ drive. It'll be listed as the size of the drive + Volume (Ex: 120GB Volume). Save it somewhere there (that's your main hard drive).