Seagate ext hard drive not responding

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
ok, trying to figure out how to get to c drive from p magic

Hold on I'll bring up Parted Magic and take a screenshot.

It'll look similar to this. Your drive will be much larger than the one circled though.

scaled.php

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
mine doesn't have it there, it just lists

root
desktop
seagate
OS

Yeah the newer version of parted magic is slightly different. Check the OS drive. That's probably it so copy everything you need there.

Webjet52

Still copying the first (large) folder. Got a lot more to do....I see this being a 2 day job.

Just went out and picked up a new external and UPS along with a few flash drives.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Still copying the first (large) folder. Got a lot more to do....I see this being a 2 day job.

Just went out and picked up a new external and UPS along with a few flash drives.

If you want, you could cancel the copy process and copy all your files over to the new drive.

Webjet52

good idea!

I'm actually doing that with the first folder right now just to make sure it makes it over ok. It's copying super fast onto the new 1 Tb drive.

Is it normal to loose some files? The first folder I copied is missing about 20% of what I had stored.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
It may have just missed some files. Try copying the folder again and see what happens.

Webjet52

How about I just have you come over and take care of the rest of this, i'm about to pass out, lol jk..... Got a early class tomorrow too.

Maybe i'll just continue on with this tomorrow....now that I somewhat know what i'm doing.

You are a Computer genius and you saved my life. I hope you do IT work or something, the IT guys at school couldn't give me a straight answer about this old drive. Thanks!

voyagerfan99

Staff member
How about I just have you come over and take care of the rest of this, i'm about to pass out, lol jk..... Got a early class tomorrow too.

Maybe i'll just continue on with this tomorrow....now that I somewhat know what i'm doing.

You are a Computer genius and you saved my life. I hope you do IT work or something, the IT guys at school couldn't give me a straight answer about this old drive. Thanks!

If I could do that for everyone I totally would :)

I actually work as a computer service technician and regularly use Parted Magic to recover customer data when I can't get into Windows or Windows can't see the drive. I'm currently a Networking Technology major at Central Connecticut State University. Should (finally) have my bachelor's in another year and a half to two years.

DMillerAmCan

I now have the Same Problem, I will try to clarify some of the Errors
1. I have a SeaGate 150GB External Model 5LS2LSZR (Fireware 3.AAE)
2. It can be read and shows up in Win Explorer, I can even see the folders and files when expanded.
3. My problem is that I can not copy those files to my computer. once I select them and start the copy process the dialog comes up and appears as if its copying but then just sites there with that never ending Cylon like green progress bar.

DMillerAmCan

Also After I attempt to cancel the Copy command it Hangs my WinExplorer
"(Not Responding)"
Not even the task Manager can shut it down:mad:, I have to power off the drive, them magically everything is better:)

DMillerAmCan

Whats a "Bad LBA:Unable to repair"

After atempting to use Long Generic Test and repair in SeaTools it aborts.

The log file:
4/12/2012 12:49:37 PM
Unit Model: Seagate External Drive
Model: ST3160212A
Serial Number: 5LS2LSZR
Firmware Revision: 3.AAE
Short DST - Started 4/12/2012 12:49:37 PM
Short DST - FAIL 4/12/2012 12:49:41 PM
SeaTools Test Code: A7E6E6E2
Long Generic - Started 4/12/2012 12:50:48 PM
Bad LBA: 44607 Unable to repair
Long Generic - FAIL 4/12/2012 12:51:13 PM
SeaTools Test Code: A7E6E6D2
Short DST - Started 4/12/2012 1:50:32 PM
Short DST - FAIL 4/12/2012 1:50:37 PM
SeaTools Test Code: A7E6E6E2
Identify - Started 4/12/2012 2:05:51 PM
Short Generic - Started 4/12/2012 2:06:40 PM
Short Generic - FAIL 4/12/2012 2:13:13 PM
SeaTools Test Code: A7E6E6C2
Long Generic - Started 4/12/2012 3:11:12 PM
Bad LBA: 0 Unable to repair
Long Generic - FAIL 4/12/2012 3:11:34 PM
SeaTools Test Code: A7E6E6D2

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Follow my previous suggestions for Christina. Boot to PartedMagic and copy your data to another drive.