Second anti virus program

peter912

I received a message from McAfee. It said that it detected another virus protection program ( Malwarebytes) in my computer. It said that having two virus protection programs can cause problems and is not good. Should I uninstall Malwarebytes or ignore what McAfee says ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If it's the free version of malwarebytes then you can ignore it as it's only an on demand scanner. If it's the paid version then you'll need one or the other.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Then ignore it. You can also disable the free trial by disabling the 4 real time protections and then stop Malwarebytes from running at bootup. There should be slider bars to turn all 4 off.

Darren

Staff member
It's the trial version but it is doing scans on its own already
It will stop once the trial expires. You're fine, just if it prompts you to continue real time protection or something to that effect just say no.

Darren

Staff member
Well McAfee is absolutely horrendous so there's that. Personally I'd just roll Defender and MalwareBytes or at least like Avast. McAfee is probably the very last recommendation I'd give.

AlienMenace

I get rid of McAfee and get Avast Free version. That is what I run on my computer and I also have the Pro version of Malwarebytes. And they work good together.