Second time I've had a problem with G.Skill Memory

JustinKranz

When I first built my PC, 1 of my 2 sticks of 4GB memory was defective, so I only used the 1 for a while then eventually I bought 2 more sticks of memory, put those in my computer, and sent back the defective set.

I just got the set back yesterday, put them in today with the other pair and my monitor wasn't detecting my video card or external hard drives or my keyboard and mouse (all usb). I removed the two returned sticks and my computer turned on with the screen saying "Recent overclock was failed" or something like that. I tried putting the sticks in alone without the 2 that I know already work, and again my monitor wouldn't turn on.

So I guess I have to send back the same 2 memory sticks again.. It's just weird that it was causing my monitor and usb ports to not work correctly, any idea why?

Sorry if this is confusing, let me know if you have any questions.

kobaj

VIP Member
When I first built my PC, 1 of my 2 sticks of 4GB memory was defective, so I only used the 1 for a while then eventually I bought 2 more sticks of memory, put those in my computer, and sent back the defective set.

I just got the set back yesterday, put them in today with the other pair and my monitor wasn't detecting my video card or external hard drives or my keyboard and mouse (all usb). I removed the two returned sticks and my computer turned on with the screen saying "Recent overclock was failed" or something like that. I tried putting the sticks in alone without the 2 that I know already work, and again my monitor wouldn't turn on.

So I guess I have to send back the same 2 memory sticks again.. It's just weird that it was causing my monitor and usb ports to not work correctly, any idea why?

Sorry if this is confusing, let me know if you have any questions.

I have to interject, as I am a huge fan of G.Skill and recommend them whole heartedly. However - they are very picky ram, which could be causing your trouble. If you're mixing clocks, or voltages, or anything significantly like that (and as your mobo is talking about overclocking, I'm going to say that's whats probably happening) the ram just wont let you boot. Perhaps if you would inform us as to what types all the sticks are and what motherboard you have, we could asses the situation better, and you might not have to return your ram. (Because frankly, never return ram unless you memtest it imo).

JustinKranz

Links to the two types of ram I am trying to install:

The ones that I am using right now that work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231402

The ones that I am not able to use because they do not work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

As you can see I am mixing latency 7 memory sticks with latency 9 sticks, but I even tried installing the latency 9 sticks without the other 2 latency 7 sticks, and I also tried just putting 1 stick of the latency 9s in one at a time in slot one and it still wouldn't boot.

and this is my motherboard encase you wanted to know that also:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130274

Last edited:

kobaj

VIP Member
Links to the two types of ram I am trying to install:

The ones that I am using right now that work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231402

The ones that I am not able to use because they do not work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311

As you can see I am mixing latency 7 memory sticks with latency 9 sticks, but I even tried installing the latency 9 sticks without the other 2 latency 7 sticks, and I also tried just putting 1 stick of the latency 9s in one at a time in slot one and it still wouldn't boot.

and this is my motherboard encase you wanted to know that also:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130274

That's very peculiar, have you overclocked your PC/ram? IE, if you boot with the cs7 sticks and check the bios are they running at the default 1333 (with 1.5 volts)? The higher latency sticks might not like any overclocks/voltages you have set.

JustinKranz

Yes my current memory is running at 1333 with 1.5V. When I bought that memory the came with the latency 9-9-9-27 even though it was supposed to be 7-7-7-24 so I set it manually, but thats all I've changed.

and my CPU is overclocked from 3.2Ghz to 3.9Ghz, but I don't see why that would cause a problem with my memory, when I have different 1333 memory that works just fine..

kobaj

VIP Member
Strange, if you set the timings, speed, and voltages to what the memory is supposed to run, and it still doesn't boot, then that ram might just be incompatible with that motherboard. I wish there was something else I could suggest but that's the extent of my knowledge.

CardboardSword

Maybe it has something to do with your current BIOS settings. It may be trying to run the new ram like your old stuff. Try either putting all your settings back at stock for now to see if it will boot, or reset your bios via the CMOS battery just to make absolute sure that it isn't a setting issue. I quite like G. Skill as well, and I know an awful lot of people do too, so your luck would have to be pretty bad to get two bunk sets.

JustinKranz

There was actually 2 other people in a computer class I was taking last semester that also had problems with G.Skill recently, lol.

Well I know the memory sticks are compatible because like I said, I was using just 1 stick by itself before I returned them, now this time neither of them work.

Only settings I have changed is with the memory thats in there now is running at 7-7-7 timing, but that shouldn't effect slots 3 and 4 correct? each slot has its own settings in the BIOS.. But I'll check it regardless.. thanks for everyone's help and I'll let you know what happens once I change the settings and try putting the memory in again.

JustinKranz

I spoke to my electronics teacher today about the memory problem and he said you can't mix different latencys and I need to set my 7latency ram to 9 like the other ram and it will work fine. I'll try it later.

jasonn20

Can you provide a link to the ram you are using..??

If you are trying to use different sets of ram it could cause issues.

Are you using the bios the set the voltages and timings and what platform are you using...??

Edit*

Some AMD cpu have problems running 4 DIMM slots.... C3 or E0 stepping cpu's fixed this issue.... I see the info above that I must have overlooked...

Last edited:

Drenlin

^ C2 chips don't overclock nearly as well with all 4 DIMM's in place, yes. However, if it's a black edition processor, then overclocking with the multiplier won't affect this at all. C3 was the one that fixed it.

Out of curiosity, what power supply are you running? If you've got a crappy one, it could be running out of spec and frying tour RAM.

JustinKranz

Can you provide a link to the ram you are using..??

If you are trying to use different sets of ram it could cause issues.

Are you using the bios the set the voltages and timings and what platform are you using...??

Edit*

Some AMD cpu have problems running 4 DIMM slots.... C3 or E0 stepping cpu's fixed this issue.... I see the info above that I must have overlooked...

I used the BIOS to set the timings on my working ram to 7-7-7 because thats what they were supposed to run at and they came at 9-9-9. But I only changed those settings for slot 1 and 2, not 3 and 4.

I feel stupid for not realizing that I can't mix different latency's, I learned last semester that you'll have to run at your slowest timing stick.

Drenlin

Oh...that's definitely not the problem then. :eek:

I used the BIOS to set the timings on my working ram to 7-7-7 because thats what they were supposed to run at and they came at 9-9-9. But I only changed those settings for slot 1 and 2, not 3 and 4.

I feel stupid for not realizing that I can't mix different latency's, I learned last semester that you'll have to run at your slowest timing stick.
Your motherboard lets you adjust the latencies individually? :confused:

That would definitely be a problem though, yeah. Does it work ok with the slower sticks removed?

Also, as far as I know, all DDR3 (1333 and up) defaults to 9-9-9 @ 1333 @ 1.5v unless both the RAM and mobo support XMP. It's perfectly normal. :)

JustinKranz

Yeah my power supply isn't the problem :)

and yes my motherboard lets me adjust latency's for each slot or there is a setting to set all to the same.

I didn't know that about the 1333's so thank you.

And you mean does it work with just using the 7-7-7 latency's? Then yes, thats what I'm using right now.

I still haven't adjusted the timings and put the 2 sticks in again.. I'm super busy, taking 2 networking classes, html class, software class, and weight training and I literally have to study all before class/work and after lol.. But I will let you know what happens when I do it.

JustinKranz

It was just the latency problem of slots 1 and 2, I had to set them to 9-9-9 like the other memory instead of 7-7-7.. I feel stupid for not realizing this, but now I have 16GB of memory :)