Secondary IDE not recognizing anything

Dumpy

Well after doing a burn in on my system for a while (Just turn on the machine nothing else) I just tried to install Windows XP. Well it would not read the CD so I thought well I'll just try another CD (Windows 2k) same thing. I went into the BIOS, :eek: it said I didn't have a device installed(actually I had two a DVD burner and a CDROM). Well I check the cable, everything in place. So I tried another cable same thing. The DVD and CD were on the secondary so I think to myself, :rolleyes: Self lets disconnect the hard drive and put them on the primary and guess what there they are. I did have the cable properly installed and the jumpers were correct too. The motherboard is an ASUS P4S800. I'm wondering if there is something else in the BIOS that maybe I need to change. Could the southbridge be bad?? :eek:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
perhaps go back into your bios and try to set the cd/dvd manualy. also make sure you've set your cd/dvd to be the first boot device in order for it to read the instalation disk while booting.

Dumpy

latest update

well after checking some reviews on the motherboard, I found out that when you connect the USB wire from the front or side of you case it conflicts with the secondary controller. I disconnected the USB and :eek: Theres the second DVD. Kinda bites though that I can't use the USB on the front of my case. Oh well I will do better research next time I buy a board.

DUMPY :rolleyes:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I never had any controller problems with the P4S .... try a different header?