security for new pc

Deviousmind

Hi all. well im upgrading from windows xp to w7 and i admit have been away from the software scene for awhile so im just wondering,
Does Anti malwarebytes still work on w/7 and the same for superantispyware?
what free internet security would you recommand?
used to have zonealarm but now using comodo these any good for w/7
and sometimes pc tools for the firewall,
What would you recommand
seen the lists before but they didnt mention the o/s and i need it for w/7 64 bit

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Avast or MSE for antivirus. Yes, malwarebytes and superantispyware still work on 7.

ChantelleC

The most popular free anti-virus is AVG which works well, however all free anti-virus's are restricted on what they protect you against compared to versions that need paying for. If you want to keep costs down, there are a lot of old 2012 versions on ebay which you could buy which have huge discounts. They still work perfectly, just not 100% up-to-date. What you really need to look for is that whatever anti-virus you go for will also mainly protect you against worms, trojans and malicious tools. If you are willing to pay for the software then it should also protect you against most spyware.

A highly rated free anti-spyware is Spybot - Search & Destroy which has worked well for me. Download it from http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html

Deviousmind

I found that spybot. after awhile used alot of system rescources when using xp so not prepared to use it,
As johnb35 said malwarebytes is best

jamesd1981

I use either avast or avira as anti-virus, and either malwarebytes or iobit malware fighter for malware & spyware both are very good.

ReMiXeDg

Take in mind free anti-virus programs do not give you the fullest protection that a normal paid anti-virus program will give you. Most times they restrict certain settings or features. Or limit how much it protects you.

I highly advise you to purchase AVG as the free one is very good but the paid one is even more better..