seeing java up on the news about a nasty virus

tremmor

Whats up. Cant find links from the sites i trust.
News says to disable until fixed. thats all i have.

Last edited:

Dynamite PC

I've actually written up an article about this on my site. If you'd like to check it out its here. It's definitely a favorite vector for hackers these days. You really should disable it unless its important for what you're viewing. If its disabled, you're not really missing much

User0one

I heard about this on the National Nightly News a couple weeks ago, so I would guess Java have been patched by now. Though the patch will only be as good as the Hackers ability to patch their Java Hack,:)

Java has always been a bit of a Security risk. I have not even had it installed in a couple years now. I never have had any error messages that I need it for something to run.

computer7

You can always keep it uninstalled and install it if you find you need it to run some software. Other than that you'll have to make sure you keep it updated.

FloydV

This thread was bumped yesterday - Tremmor originally posted in January. They patched it with J7V13 and are now up to J7V15.

I am running Firefox, and it has disabled my latest Java Plugin. The message is:

JAVA Plugin 7 update 12-15 (click to play), WINDOWS has been blocked for your protection.

Is there any update that is safe (JAVA updated itself about two weeks ago), but I still have it disabled as well as Flashplayer. I have the Extension FLASHBLOCK 1.5.15.1 installed. By default scripts are disabled, but you can choose to temprarily or permanently enable scripts on a site for site basis.

Can someone advise me as to the differences in danger from JAVA and Flashplayer, or perhaps how they interact.

Floyd

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Java 7-17 is now out, so I suggest uninstalling your old Java and downloading the newest release. Pale Moon (optimized Firefox variant) was blocking my Java 7-15 but is not blocking 7-17.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Bumping this thread with the announcement Java 7-21 is now out. You should uninstall any old versions and install the latest version from java.com.