Self Built PC Crashing on Startup

AdamL96

Hi,

I recently built a PC and I am having trouble with it as every time I start it up it crashes. It will get a little bit further along on the restart each time until it finally starts working after a lot of attempts. I replaced the memory because I initially thought that this was the problem but it has the same problem with the two new sticks installed. This leads me to believe it could be the motherboard causing the issue, what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Adam

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What do you mean by crashing? Is it blue screening or just freezing up on you? Did you use the standoffs between case and motherboard?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did it start freezing up right after you built it and installed windows or was it ok for a bit and then start doing it? Could either be software or hardware related. Have you looked in the event viewer for any problems? Can you boot to safe mode? Does it still freeze?

AdamL96

Was ok for one startup but after that I have had the problem. I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows but the same thing happened again. I haven't looked in the event viewer, how do you do that? I can run startup repair but that is about it. It sometimes goes straight to BIOS on startup.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Was ok for one startup but after that I have had the problem. I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows but the same thing happened again. I haven't looked in the event viewer, how do you do that? I can run startup repair but that is about it. It sometimes goes straight to BIOS on startup.

Go to the search/run box and type eventvwr.msc and hit enter. Go into windows logs, either system or application and check for errors.

jrz

Is your power supply adequate for your systems needs?? It should be about 30% higher than expected needs. Check out power supply calculators online.

lincsman

Yeah it probably is the power supply being insufficient, OR, could very well be incorrect voltages etc. for the CPU. If the CPU is over or under powered, and/or set to too high of a clock speed, it will freeze.