WIndows 10 Self-Typing Keyboard, Need Help Please!

Max_Autobrake

Hello, after some tech advice for my son's laptop please..............

It's a cheap Hypa 14 (Argos) running Windows 10 and has worked faultlessly until a sudden issue has appeared. In password or search boxes it'll suddenly start typing the letter 'p' over and over again. Always p and it changes to a capital if I press the shift key. I don't think it's a physical problem because the key itself feels normal. The trackpad/pointer is also slow to respond when the 'p' issue is happening. It's rendered the laptop unusable and I need a steer please.

I've done a full system recovery and installed a clean Windows 10 but it's made no difference. No warning of a virus. Any advice would be much appreciated.

TIA

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Sounds like something physical is causing the P key to be depressed or making contact with the switch/pcb below it. Are you able to pop the P key off and check for anything below it that is damaged?

Max_Autobrake

Sounds like something physical is causing the P key to be depressed or making contact with the switch/pcb below it. Are you able to pop the P key off and check for anything below it that is damaged?
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'd already taken the key off but nothing visible underneath. Also, the key works normally when the laptop is behaving.

The recurring letter is just a visible symptom but the laptop also does other things - when it's playing up the trackpad/pointer are slow to respond and if I try to open or close a window it doesn't respond, just keeps filling up the search with 'ppppppppppppppppppppppppp'

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Not much you can try doing but replace the keyboard. Would have never bought a noname brand machine though.

Darren

Staff member
Keyboard is physically broken or the ribbon cable between it and the motherboard is shorted and sending signals that are being interpreted as a "P"

Replace the keyboard if possible, but a new laptop might make more sense.