Serious virus

JFJ1153

New Member
I have vista 64 bit on my home computer. I wanted to reinstall xp pro but when i try it won't let me run it. I first formatted another hard drive and then cloned my notebook xp pro (using a 3.5hard drive enclosure) and switched the hard drives. It shows windows emblem and tries to run but then it says windows had an error and was improperly started. It tries to start again but goes back to the windows was improperly started and opts to start in safe mode which i tried but it goes back to the windows was inmproperly started screen. I was told it might be a serious trojan virus but yet have had anyone offer any solutions to fix it. Well any suggestions?
 
From what you are saying, there might be no virus at all. It might be just simply an issue with what you did (cloning hard drive). Do you have an updated active antivirus?
 
Woah. Hold up here.

It sounds like he cloned computer 1 to try and put in computer 2 (which aren't the same) and the bootup does not see the same hardware that computer 1 has in computer 2. He must install XP manually on computer 2 if he wants it to run XP and not just clone it from another computer. It's like trying to put an image of a Compaq Evo 1500 on a Compaq Evo 1600. (Just throwing out system names there.)
 
That's kind of what I meant. You will have issues with cloning and using in different machines. However I am just making a warning to him/her about having an antivirus
because it is the Right Thing To Do.

Sorry for the confusion.
 
OK, well cloning a drive is not good due to drive confusion..... so that may be why....

so in otherwords, everything is fine, just the OS is being stupid cause of the cloning and beeing on a different machine and causing confusion.
 
Heres where i would start... If you want to boot this you can try to put the windows cd in the computer where its erroring out and boot to the cd... Then try to do a repair... boot to cd Press R for repair then when you get the black and white command prompt dos window log into your c drive usually number 1 by pressing 1 and enter when you get the command line type chkdsk /r and see if that works if not you are going to have to manually rebuild the machine using this harddrive and not move it around..
 
That's kind of what I meant. You will have issues with cloning and using in different machines. However I am just making a warning to him/her about having an antivirus
because it is the Right Thing To Do.

Sorry for the confusion.

Well it's just that Cohen threw out HijackThis without really reading the problem.
 
You can't just put the CD in when it's starting to error. You have to do it when you
start the machine. Otherwise, the train will fly past you.





----------------------------------------------
Voyagerfan: just curious, are you
fond of Chrysler Voyagers/Town & Country
minivans? Or is it something different?
 
I said and i quote put the cd in the machine where its erroring out and boot to it not put it in when it starts read throughly before replying next time newbie
 
Back
Top