Servers

g4m3rof1337

I've brought this up before, but I'm in a different situation now. I'm looking for servers that can go on my 'rack'.

20090519194914.jpg

I'm looking for either cases, specs for a server, or barebones/already built servers. The specs have to be able to host LAN games, which is pretty much like hosting them online, so..

For the time, I want to keep it relatively cheap, since I'm still working on this rack and testing some things out.

Also, I have an E8400 I can put to use, should I..?

Machin3

No side panels or anything? Maybe one of these would fit in there:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219032

It's so expensive to get a whole system. It's like $1,000-$2,000 if you were to get a whole system. Is that what you are trying to make?

For barebones, there's some on Newegg like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816110030

Complete list of barebone servers:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=8&name=Server-Barebones

AdmnPower

VIP Member
You could always buy a 4u half rack ATX case and build a server out of desktop components like I did. I have a nice file server 3.2 ghz pentium D, 2 gigs of ram and 1.5 tb of hard drive space. It streams video quite nicely. I just need somewhere to put the stuff other than in my closet.

Machin3

You could always buy a 4u half rack ATX case and build a server out of desktop components like I did. I have a nice file server 3.2 ghz pentium D, 2 gigs of ram and 1.5 tb of hard drive space. It streams video quite nicely. I just need somewhere to put the stuff other than in my closet.

What OS are you running?

g4m3rof1337

I'm looking online, and found 3 Dell PowerEdge 2650s.

Specs:
2x 2.8GHz
2x 1Gb Ram
DVD Rom
2x 36GB Drives

2 units will have 533mhz FSB processors
3rd unit will have 400mhz FSB processors

And I did some research on the PEs, and I think they have socket 604, pentium 4 based Xeons.

For $300.

Opinions?

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
That is like the front of a rack, doesn't look too stable. Typically racks are two sets of those connected together.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I know what you're talking about, but I think that this rack is like that.

http://www.chatsworth.com/Common/PageTemplates/PageMain.aspx?id=56

Granted, it's for stationary use, but the guy I picked it up from said it'd make a great LAN rack.

Those racks are more for switches. I wouldn't put a rack mount server in there and I have done quite a few rack mount installs in my day.

Why is it exactly you want a server? You going to keep it in a cold room? They are noisy as hell too. I had a server in my room once I was working on and was so glad to see it leave because of the noise they produce. Fans sound like jets.

g4m3rof1337

Those racks are more for switches. I wouldn't put a rack mount server in there and I have done quite a few rack mount installs in my day.

Why is it exactly you want a server? You going to keep it in a cold room? They are noisy as hell too. I had a server in my room once I was working on and was so glad to see it leave because of the noise they produce. Fans sound like jets.

I only have this rack because the guy I got it from was literally giving it away. And I'm looking for what is probably a low key server, since I'm looking for something to use at my LANs and host some online game servers on.

tlarkin

VIP Member
If you buy a rack server be prepared they are LOUD, sound like jet engines. If you put them in an enclosed area like a closet, better have an AC unit installed in there so they don't over heat. My data center at work is like 40 degrees all the time. The women hate going in there I kind of like it, but it makes me sleepy sometimes.

g4m3rof1337

Ah, yeah, they'll most likely be in the open mostly. Also, since I have no other uses for this rack, would I be able to cut it in the middle, then combine them together in a box shape?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Ah, yeah, they'll most likely be in the open mostly. Also, since I have no other uses for this rack, would I be able to cut it in the middle, then combine them together in a box shape?

I suppose with the right tools and the know how that would be possible.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
You can make rack servers quite quiet if you try. They just have to be bigger ones, my 4u has a 120mm front fan and 2 80mm fans in the rear and it runs 24/7 in my closet, it's actually quieter than my desktop. On top of that I have a qarter rack 1u that runs pfsense for my firewall, it's fanless and totally silent. The fewer u you get the more noise it will make beacuse the fans have to spin faster to move enough air through the case. You'd be fun doing half or quarter rack equipment in that 2 post stand. At the school i used to work at we had some pretty hefty HP procurve 4u switches in 2 post stands.

g4m3rof1337

Well, since it might be tough or probably not even possible to mount a server and some switches to the rack I have, I might look into cutting it and then rebuilding it, or pick up another rack.

Vipernitrox

if you start putting rack servers, switches and patch panels into there you'll have balancing issues :p. seriously i wouldn't trust any piece of networking/server hardware to that rack.

you could cut it in half. than extend the feet and place the top half on top of the extended feet. so you'll have a 4 post (square) server rack. It'd be half the height but much sturdier. You'll have to enforce it a little bit with some iron L shapes or something but it can work if you're creative. You can use a welding torch or use pop rivots to put it together.

g4m3rof1337

if you start putting rack servers, switches and patch panels into there you'll have balancing issues :p. seriously i wouldn't trust any piece of networking/server hardware to that rack.

you could cut it in half. than extend the feet and place the top half on top of the extended feet. so you'll have a 4 post (square) server rack. It'd be half the height but much sturdier. You'll have to enforce it a little bit with some iron L shapes or something but it can work if you're creative. You can use a welding torch or use pop rivots to put it together.

Yeah, it looks like it would only support certain switches.
racks-applic-rgb72.jpg

I'll look into cutting it then rebuilding it.

Thanks.