seting up a new built PC

cooldude3552000

I am going to be building my first PC but I am worried about one thing. after I assemble everything how do I set it up. I am pretyty sure I can't just insert the XP disk and instal the operating system and be done. Also i was told there is somthing you have to do to the motherbourd before you put it together. So please tell me what I need to do to the motherboard and what I need to do after it is all assembled.

Thanks,
Colin

Last edited:

Bobo

banned
cooldude3552000 said:
I am going to be building my first PC but I am worried about one thing. after I assemble everything how do I set it up. I am pretyty sure I can't just insert the XP disk and instal the operating system and be done. Also i was told there is somthing you have to do to the motherbourd before you put it together. So please tell me what I need to do to the motherboard and what I need to do after it is all assembled.

Thanks,
Colin

I dunno what you have to do to the mobo, but go into the bios and make sure it is set to boot off the CD, then stick the CD in and boot.

Bobo

banned
cooldude3552000 said:
ok so I thats all I need to do in bios, just make it so it boots off the disk?

Should be, I dunno what you have to do to the mobo. It should be set to boot off the CD, but check to make sure

Picklee

there shouldn't really be anything that you should have to do t the mobo. like he said just set the bios to boot from the cd and throw the disc in and install

Bobo

banned
Picklee said:
there shouldn't really be anything that you should have to do t the mobo. like he said just set the bios to boot from the cd and throw the disc in and install

How many times you guys gonna say the same thing over and over? :p

Just do that, Computerdude3552000 :D

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Bobo said:
How many times you guys gonna say the same thing over and over? :p

go into the bios and make sure it is set to boot off the CD, then stick the CD in and boot

Bobo

banned
SFR said:
go into the bios and make sure it is set to boot off the CD, then stick the CD in and boot

I think that's 6 times now....

Make that 7 :D

mgoldb2

VIP Member
I say something different. If you have a built in raid controller on you MOBO then in the bios make sure it on and set to raid if you using it. if you not make sure it off and set to ide in the bios.

Bobo

banned
mgoldb2 said:
I say something different. If you have a built in raid controller on you MOBO then in the bios make sure it on and set to raid if you using it. if you not make sure it off and set to ide in the bios.

Can I say that too?!?! :p

heeheehee

btw, whoever it was that had this problem, could you please tell us if it worked?

clevergod

MB Jumper

Some motherboards come with a jumper set to Clear CMOS. This means you'll have to switch it to normal, otherwise you cannot boot.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I am pretyty sure I can't just insert the XP disk and instal the operating system and be done
Äctually... thats the idea :)

It should be set to boot off the CD, but check to make sure
Most mobos dont come with BIOS set for CD boot (unless maybe they are OEM boards)

Some motherboards come with a jumper set to Clear CMOS. This means you'll have to switch it to normal, otherwise you cannot boot.
But none of them require you to reset the mobo prior to using them the first time.

I have never built a computer before. It says, Onboard SATA/RAID: 4x Serial ATA, RAID 0/1/0+1. Could someone please explain how I do all this. I really don't know how to do any of the stuff you are saying.
If you dont know then odds are you dont have to worry about it. Plug your HDDs into the primary (non-raid) slots and you'll be fine :)