Setting the subnet mask...

Hass

I'm having one heck of a time trying to get two winXP x64pro computers networked together through a linksys switch.

I figured I would tinker with it a little bit today, so i went in to network settings on my older computer, and my GFs computer showed up in the workgroup! so i was surprised a little.

so i had figured out which computer is the one thats causing problems (this one, recent build)

However, I noticed the subnet masks are different.
This will cause the computers not to be able to share files/detect each other, correct?
One is 255.255.254.0, and the other is 255.255.224.0

I know I can adjust the TCP/IP properties, but then I also need to give an IP address, which causes me to lose internet connection (and still not be able to connect to the other computer).
So is there any way to adjust the subnet mask without making any other changes?

Hass

nevermind....
sorta figured it out.
having a pita time setting it up with a switch however.

Geoff

VIP Member
Are both computers set to receive network settings automatically via DHCP? If so, and they are on the same switch which has a router connected to it, then I would run the repair wizard and try to reset the network settings, because that shouldn't be happening.

Bacon

I'm having one heck of a time trying to get two winXP x64pro computers networked together through a linksys switch.

I figured I would tinker with it a little bit today, so i went in to network settings on my older computer, and my GFs computer showed up in the workgroup! so i was surprised a little.

so i had figured out which computer is the one thats causing problems (this one, recent build)

However, I noticed the subnet masks are different.
This will cause the computers not to be able to share files/detect each other, correct?
One is 255.255.254.0, and the other is 255.255.224.0

I know I can adjust the TCP/IP properties, but then I also need to give an IP address, which causes me to lose internet connection (and still not be able to connect to the other computer).
So is there any way to adjust the subnet mask without making any other changes?

o_O your using a class B subnet for two computers?

Anyways, whats the problem now, since you said you "sorta" have it figured out.

Hass

[-0MEGA-];1388127 said:
Are both computers set to receive network settings automatically via DHCP? If so, and they are on the same switch which has a router connected to it, then I would run the repair wizard and try to reset the network settings, because that shouldn't be happening.

Yes, both can recieve auto via DHCP.
The switch does not have a router connected.
Cable modem is in the uplink, then the rest of the computers are in various positions along the switch.
Switch is an EZXS55W.

They were connected at one point, but after I had reformatted one of the computers to set it up as a HTPC, I'm unable to reconnect the network.

o_O your using a class B subnet for two computers?

Anyways, whats the problem now, since you said you "sorta" have it figured out.

A quick google of what a class b subnet is, shows me that I'm not doing it intentionally :p
Especially since I had no idea what it was before a few moments ago, thanks to google.

and no, I really didn't have it figured it.
Thought I was on to something, but I really wasn't.
Was on Linksys' FAQ about networking, and read some bits there and thought I had something.
But that lead to... nothing.

I'm almost thinking of just ditching this method and just buying a router.
Switch is from when I used to live at my parents house, for our network there (router downstairs, leading to switch upstairs to spread internet/network to upstairs computers)
So I figured I'd give it a shot...