Setting up a network Printer

Enteprise NX01

Good evening All

I purchased a new canon printer today and wanted to set it up on a old computer running windows XP but then later realised I could only set it up on a PC running Windows 7 onwards so I've installed it on my PC running Windows 10 but I also want to be able to print documents from my windows XP PC across a home network. is this possible at all ? and if possible how do I set it up. Thanks in advance for any help

_Pete_

When you set up a printer over a network the computer that you are setting it up on downloads network and printer drivers over the network. No new printers will have Windows XP drivers included so it wont work. You might be lucky and find the drivers on the printer web site but I doubt it.

Enteprise NX01

Hello and thank you for your reply, I've had a look at the canon website and it says there is no windows XP drivers available. it wouldn't even run the .exe file to install the printer off the installation CD so I guess its not possible. in that case would it be possible to create a shared folder on the windows XP PC that I can view and open on my windows 10 PC and print off that PC ?

_Pete_

That would be possible. You would have to set up your network sharing which, in my experience, can be a bit hit and miss with Windows of all versions. I share stuff between my desktop and my wife's laptop from my laptop and often the sharing just stops for no apparent reason. Everything I share tends to go into the public folder of the other computer. As for setting up a Homegroup I have never managed to get that to work. It is me rather than Windows but I mostly revert to putting stuff on to a USB pen drive and chucking that over to my wife. I also use Tight VNC to control my desktop, which is in a different room, and I have used that to transfer files.