Setting up a static IP adress..

Cooto3s

Ok so I got this new router, and I was going to forward a port, so I used this guide: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/WPN824v2/Call_of_Duty_4.htm

Though it said that I had to setup a static IP adress, I skipped it and tried without it. Didnt work. So I started to setup my own static IP adress using a guide on the site I just linked. And they wanted me to check my IP out, you know, Run - CMD - ipconfig /all and so I did. They wanted me to write down some numbers, one of them was the DNS IP or w/e it's called, Though there's nothing there.. This is what it says:

DNS-servers:

FEC0:0:0:ffff: :1%1
FEC0:0:0:ffff: :2%1
FEC0:0:0:ffff: :3%1

I can't print screen because it's all in swedish.

So any ideas?

Last edited:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
I can't print screen because it's all in swedish.
It can still tell a lot of useful stuff, the numbers & whatnot are what's important, and chances are some people here have at least limited understanding of Swedish, so...

So any ideas?
If you want a static IP, you'll have to talk to your ISP about it; if they don't offer a static IP by default (or at all), there's no other way around it (none that I know, at least... there shouldn't be).

Cooto3s

If they try to sell you a static external ip address, don't buy it. That's an entirely different thing that what you are trying to setup.

Taken from the guide. And I'm not sure if it's even safe to post all that IP stuff..

funkysnair

VIP Member
i contacted aol about setting up a static ip and they said that if i wanted a static ip i would have to set it up myself but they wouldnt give me a guide or anything

there not interested in that because they will see people who want static ip's as wanting to use torrents and p2p.

Cooto3s

What's it for anyways? I only want it so I can forward ports on my router, because it doesnt seem to work..

Cooto3s

Check this:

4e335d1router.jpg

I don't have a clue what to type in the "Server IP Adress" field... Any ideas? It has to be a local IP.

tremmor

i might be easier if we new what program.

try 192.168.1.2:28960

get the router working 1st.
turn off the software firewall if ya have one.
if works they turn it on and try.
if not you have to configure the software ports the same way.

Last edited:

Cooto3s

You mean my comps firewall? Sorry but I didnt understand what you ment there.. I got AVG.. I we're looking for a place where I could open ports on it but I couldnt find anything.. I tried closing AVG but it didnt work

tremmor

not avg unless your using an avg firewall. firewall im using Sygate Pro.
if your using windows firewall then shut it off. If you don't have a software firewall and using cable or dsl internet i suggest you get one.

im not familiar with your router. if you have the port open the type the ip ans mentioned above using the colon with the port number. its a learning curve.
ya got to figure it out one time.

Cooto3s

Ok I opened the 28960 port in my firewall, still didnt work, I also tried to turn the firewall off and restart my computer, didnt work. I also tried it without a restart

tremmor

ya still didn't mention what your doing completely. does it involve a client or ie, firefox for access? turn off the software firewall until ya get it going.

in my router setting i set up a virtual server
the exact format is

ftp 21,10000-10010 (this will allow 10 (friends or family) access for pictures.

remote software like real vnc:
vnc 5800,5900
5800 port is open for firefox
5900 port is open for client

tlarkin

VIP Member
what exactly are you trying to do here? If you want access outside your network (ie over the internet) you need to know your external IP your ISP gives you.

However, if you just want to accomplish remote desktop and file sharing there are easier ways to accomplish that

www.logmein.com (free)

www.getdropbox.com (free)

tremmor

You may be right. ......... he said network. he may need to use the physical addy. there is also www.whatismyip.com

this is outside the network.
funny thing though, im using dyndns and going through my notes and i don't have a static ip has not changed in two yrs.

Cooto3s

Well I just got admin rights on one of my COD4 clans servers, and for that I use a program called ModernRcon, from that program I'm suppose to be able to see the chat on the server, but I need to type in an open port, and since my router is fairly new, I don't have any open ports. Also, there appears do be something weird going on with my DNS, 2 days ago, I had that weird DNS(the ones I typed in my original post) Now, however, it's the same IP as my routers (192.168.1.1) and I can't use the same IP as my router apparantly (I get an error saying I can't when I try it) I've also noticed something else, when refreshing the server list on COD4, my internet sometimes stops working. I do a repair thingy and it starts looking for errors, and it comes up that it can't communicate with my DNS server. :/

tlarkin

VIP Member
firewalls don't typically block outgoing connections typically it is incoming. You need to have the person who admins the server to open up and forward everything necessary.

Your router resolves DNS from your ISP, and your computers on your network resolve it from your router. That is common.

Cooto3s

455e7a37modernrcon.jpg

There we go. The guy whos actually hosting the server isnt suppose to forward a port for me. Atleast, that's not what he's done to all the others, and it works fine for them.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Oh I see, the server connects to your machine as a client. OK, I get it now.

In your router you will need to give your windows box you are using a static IP, or Static DHCP is what it is called. Then you need to forward that port (whatever number that is) to the machine in the router. What port does that rcon software use?

Cooto3s

How do I get that static IP then?

I can type in any port I want it to use, though 28960 is a good one, since it's used alot in COD for settings up servers etc so I'll use that one.

EDIT: I belive I found it. Is this it? If so, what do I type in the DNS window? Can I take like anything or is there suppose to be something specific?

ee8232erouter2.jpg

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
You probably have to go into LAN IP setup first, and assign your PC by MAC address a static IP. Probably class C, 192.168.1.100 for example. Then in port forwarding, forward that port to that machine. If you don't have a specific machine to forward to, the router doesn't magically know to forward incoming requests to said machine.

Hope that makes sense.