Setting up a static IP adress..

Cooto3s

It doesnt really. But I went into LAN IP setup and tried to change the IP adress there, but I gave me an error as usual. I also added a reservation (lol) Here comes yet another pic..

3b86c7drouter4.jpg

tlarkin

VIP Member
That looks right. Once you reserve that IP address to that machine then you can forward ports to that machine specifically.

tlarkin

VIP Member
And how do I do that? It still doesnt work. Or should I restart my com and router first?

OK, so did you assign 192.168.1.100 to the MAC address of your machine you are on right now in your router?

If so you will need to release/renew the IP so it gets that IP, and from now one every time your PC requests a new IP from the DHCP server (the router) it will be assigned that exact IP.

Now, in port forwarding you want to add an application. Call it whatever you want. Then add the port, or port range. Then point it to the machine that you have set up with the static IP.

A reboot would refresh all network settings but may not be needed. ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew should do the trick from the command line.

Cooto3s

Still not working... I did a reboot because I needed admin privs to do the ipconfig /release command (****ing vista) I get the same error

tlarkin

VIP Member
well what port does the application use? I am not sure how it exactly works either. Give me a link to the application you are trying use download page or their FAQ or something.

Cooto3s

ye I connect to it's IP. I'm suppose to be able to check the chat on the server, even though I'm not on it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
OK, so you type in the servers IP (which should be a public IP) and the proper port and use your password you were given and it doesn't connect?

I would contact the admin of the server.

Cooto3s

I can connect to the server through ModernRcon, that's not the problem. But there's a certain feature where I can see the ingame chat through Rcon, which is rather usefull. And for that specific feature I need to open up a port. Any port.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I can connect to the server through ModernRcon, that's not the problem. But there's a certain feature where I can see the ingame chat through Rcon, which is rather usefull. And for that specific feature I need to open up a port. Any port.

No, if the chat is a separate feature then you need to forward the port that the chat specifically uses. You can't just open up any port because many ports are reserved for specific functions, like FTP, SSH, SMB, AFP, NFS, so on and so forth.

It also seems that the administration is tiered, and perhaps you don't have access to the chat server?

Cooto3s

They just gave me access there. If you don't have access to it you don't get a "chat" tab on the program either. It says that I need to open up any port and just type it into a window and press connect

tlarkin

VIP Member
any port is pretty vague, because if you tried port 22 it wouldn't connect since that is reserved for ssh.

I don't know what to tell you because I don't use that application. Contact the server admin and ask how they have it set up.

Cooto3s

They use the same port as I'm trying to use. 28960. Perhaps I should just switch router to my old one, and when it stats acting up I just switch back to my new one..