Setting up an ftp server: step by step?

massahwahl

VIP Member
I didnt want to hijack someone elses post about setting up a remote ftp server plus, he seemed to be a lot farther than what I am.

I want to setup a server between my brothers computer and my own but I have a lot of questions. First of which being, does both of our computers need to have the server running, or only one? I downloaded serv-u and it said it was running correctly, but when I had my bro try to connect to it, he put in the username and password but it wouldnt open up the hard drive on my computer.

The name we were using was ftp.wahl.net.

I read in the other post that this wont work because its no registered? Do I need to make the name of the server my static ip address? This would make sense except my static IP seems completely generic to me and I dont think its correct (192.168.1.100) How do I find my actual Ip address to use with serv-u?

Next, when my bro connects, will he be able to see all the files on my hdd? I set it up so only on hdd was available for him to see.

For me to see files on his computer, do i need to setup serv-u for him as well? And if I wanted to get real creative and add my sister as well, would she need it to?

Lastly, do I need to worry about security issues with this since it will be limited to sharing non-personal files? No passwords or anything like that or even documents for that matter. Just pictures and videos and such.

massahwahl

VIP Member
will setting it up on vista and XP differ to much from one another? and does my bros pc need a static ip?

tlarkin

VIP Member
if you are just file sharing an external HD on you internal home network, there is no need to run FTP. Just use windows file sharing (SMB) to share the data.

What is it you are exactly trying to accomplish?

massahwahl

VIP Member
if you are just file sharing an external HD on you internal home network, there is no need to run FTP. Just use windows file sharing (SMB) to share the data.

What is it you are exactly trying to accomplish?

Its not on an internal network though, he is at his house, i am at mine.

Basically as mentioned, we want to be able to log onto each others hdd's and grab stuff off from one another. So, he can log onto mine and grab a video file, or I can log onto his and grab some pictures etc...

tlarkin

VIP Member
why not just use internet sharing? Do you want to share through a web browser? I mean that is the only advantage FTP would have.

massahwahl

VIP Member
why not just use internet sharing? Do you want to share through a web browser? I mean that is the only advantage FTP would have.

How do you do internet sharing or what is it? As long as you could see the files on the other persons computer, and then download them to yours is all it needs to do. Will it work Vista to XP?

massahwahl

VIP Member
Thanks Tlarkin, looks like this guys guide might work for my situation. I'll try and let everyone know how it works.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I don't use windows every day anymore, so you may want to see if internet file sharing is a default feature. I know for a fact it is in OS X and in some Linux distros.

tlarkin

VIP Member
you could set up apache or IIS on a machine and create FTP for it. Be aware that IIS is filled with security holes, but it would work.

massahwahl

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];832389 said:
IIS would be one of the simplest, free ways to set up a web server or FTP server.

So using IIS will allow me to network several computers together? One is running is Vista Ultimate, One is running Vista Home Premium, and the last is running in XP: Home.

If I set IIS up on my system, will all three of these computers be able to communicate with one another? Or does IIS need to be set up on the others as well? How do you go about connecting to the other computers? And do I need an FTP browser to see documents on the other machines?

Also what security issues are present and will they affect this? I assume there are password protection for the connections?

tlarkin

VIP Member
You should probably google setting up FTP through IIS. Its not something I really want to walk somebody through. Sorry, but I would have to charge for that kind of in depth support.

massahwahl

VIP Member
You should probably google setting up FTP through IIS. Its not something I really want to walk somebody through. Sorry, but I would have to charge for that kind of in depth support.

hmmm...uhm ok. Could you maybe point to a good guide on it? Ive been doing some research on it but not getting very far.