Setting up my TV Tuner (Dish)

raoul_1101

Hello all,

I have a Hauppage 1850 Tv Tuner in my computer and am trying to set it up to work with my Satellite TV. I am not looking to bypass the set-top box, but simply bring the STB's output to my TV-Tuner, and then from there, to my TV. Is this a feasible set up? The Tv Tuner came with an IR blaster, so I can change the channel of the set-top box.

However, I am completely (very, very completely) new to this. There are two coaxial inputs on the Tuner card (Digital/Analog). If I hook the cable up to analog, Windows Media Center does not detect a signal at all. If I connect the cable to digital, Windows Media Center scans and finds 8 channels (All news and weather channels).

It is my understanding that satellite tv does not send/receive all channels at all times, but uses some sort of modulation (amplitude or frequency) in order to only receive what you need to receive.

So, in short, does anyone have knowledge on how to set up a TV-Tuner to work with Dish TV?

tremmor

likely about all you will get. even as with with AT&T Uverse. thats all i get. I tried the Happauge for usb thats what i get. about 8 or 10 channels. and maybe 8 or 10 lower res channels. same as hd. problem was i could not boot because windows seen it in usb as maybe boot device. Took it back and picked up Avermedia. works, but nothing different.

raoul_1101

Is this due to some kind of encryption? Or simply due to a contrast between the way the Tuner card works (wants to see all the channels) and the way the dish works (only grabs the channel you are watching)?