Setting up the network for the first time

people, people, people

hello all.

setting up the network for the first time.
how do you do this and what steps do i need to cover to properly configure it?

beers

Staff member
What components do you have?

Generally they're configured to work out of the box, but the router always comes with a manual too ;)

strollin

Not enough info. What OS(es)? What equipment? How many computers? Domain server? Workgroup? Homegroup? Just a few questions to start.

Your question is way too vague to attempt to help you.

hi beers,
great you showed up -- was was looking forward to seeing you again.

it isn't the first time that the network has been set up, but it is the first time that "i" am going to set it up.
i just want to make sure that i do it correctly, and don't mess anything up.

strollin,
hi there

1. w7
2. cisco linksys e2500
3. 5 computers
4. Domain server? [i don't understand what this is or HOW to find it]
5. Workgroup?: i don't want any. there is to be ABSOLUTELY NO FILE SHARING, except to use the printer.
6. Homegroup?i don't want any.there is to be ABSOLUTELY NO FILE SHARING, except to use the printer.

*is there a way to have ABSOLUTELY NO FILE SHARING, except to use the printer?:eek:
meaning that none of the other computers on the network are able to access the data on the other computers on the network.

A. i want to block one of the computers from the network or allow them access to the internet (not network (same thing?)), but not to be able to access data on the other computers on the network.

Security

Geoff

VIP Member
All you need to do is connect all your computers to your Cisco Linksys E2500, the rest should be plug and play. You don't need a domain server for that environment, the Cisco has a built-in DHCP and DNS server.

To prevent one computer from accessing your data but giving him access to the internet would preferably be a VLAN, however I don't believe you can do that on that router. I'd look to see if it has a guest wireless mode, often times routers come with those so anyone who connects to it can access the internet but not access any other computers.

Geoff,
great to see you my friend,
thanks for showing up!!

i reinstalled the OS, and the landlords computer is still the admin.
i got rid of the 2 trojens:good:
the security program runs now without an error message of “lack of admin rights”
all “admin rights” appear to be functional: is there a way to test this, such as when you move a folder from one place to another, for example, to test whether or not that you have “admin rights”?
i am able to install programs.

ODD THINGS
1. 2 name entries on the network section still appear, next to the admin folder
2. to open 1 program, it could not be opened with the standard single left click action, but rather ONLY opened the program with first a -- right click [menu pop up], select “open as administrator”. [why would this program not open normally?] the program only ran when opened in this manner.....

Security

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member

What the hell are you talking about? In the network window, if you have network discovery turned on, then it's going to detect other PC's. Did you name the computer Admin or something? (I still don't see why you'd do that).

Geoff

VIP Member
Geoff,
great to see you my friend,
thanks for showing up!!

i reinstalled the OS, and the landlords computer is still the admin.
i got rid of the 2 trojens:good:
the security program runs now without an error message of “lack of admin rights”
all “admin rights” appear to be functional: is there a way to test this, such as when you move a folder from one place to another, for example, to test whether or not that you have “admin rights”?
i am able to install programs.

ODD THINGS
2. to open 1 program, it could not be opened with the standard single left click action, but rather ONLY opened the program with first a -- right click [menu pop up], select “open as administrator”. [why would this program not open normally?] the program only ran when opened in this manner.....

Security
I'm confused, you asked us how to setup a network, and now you're talking about computers with trojans and folders.