Setting up wifi from an ethernet port

bkribbs

Ok I used to remember which is which, but for a dorm I want a switch not a hub right? or other way around?

Just whichever basically turns one wall port into 4 with nothing else such as DHCP involved.

salvage-this

either would be fine. Switches will send traffic out the correct ports by MAC address (Layer 2) hubs just flood all ports. If you are buying new, get a switch.

bkribbs

either would be fine. Switches will send traffic out the correct ports by MAC address (Layer 2) hubs just flood all ports. If you are buying new, get a switch.

So my schools IT department which doesn't allow routers will be fine with either of these?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Get a switch. Yeah, you should be fine. I set up my son with internet at SIU about a month ago and used a switch and said that was fine.

bkribbs

Get a switch. Yeah, you should be fine. I set up my son with internet at SIU about a month ago and used a switch and said that was fine.

Is there anything to look for when buying one or just be intelligent in looking at the companies and I'll be good to go?

bkribbs

Taking another swing at this. I'm going to set it up as a switch so just using the LAN ports.

So on this page, where it says IP address, does that need to match whatever our local network here is assigning? I'm confused exactly what this ip does. Does only the router see this, or is this assigning it a static ip on the schools network? I think I want to avoid it having a static ip. I could care less about being able to get back into the router settings later on.

Then I need to disable dhcp I know. Already turned off ssid broadcasting and added security.

rveg.jpg

Then this is where the routers ip will be assigned? Or will it use the one from before?

vplb.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What is the internal IP of the first router? For example, if the first router has an internal IP of 192.168.1.1 then set the internal IP of the second router as 192.168.1.2. disable dhcp and leave wireless on if need be. Connect a cable from lan port from router 1 to lan port on router 2.

bkribbs

What is the internal IP of the first router? For example, if the first router has an internal IP of 192.168.1.1 then set the internal IP of the second router as 192.168.1.2. disable dhcp and leave wireless on if need be. Connect a cable from lan port from router 1 to lan port on router 2.

Yeah it's something along those lines but I'm not on it now to check.

But the point is I don't want a static ip for the router as that makes it stand out if it keeps the same ip for a long time right? Or would the 192.168.1.2 or whatever that would be, be visible only from my network? Pretty sure not, so is there any way around having a static ip? Or am I just confused?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Only users on your network will be able to access the second router by entering the IP address. I had 3 routers hooked up and was able to access all 3 just by entering the IP. Now I only have 2 hooked up.

bkribbs

Only users on your network will be able to access the second router by entering the IP address. I had 3 routers hooked up and was able to access all 3 just by entering the IP. Now I only have 2 hooked up.

So if I make it 192.168.1.2 and there is another device with that ip just not on my router, it won't matter?

Edit- also, if the original subnet is 255.255.254.0 what do I chose as the subnet?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Nope, its not gonna matter as all the IP adresses will be coming from router #1.

So if router 1 has an IP of 192.168.1.1 then all devices attached to your network will be the following.

and so on and so forth.

Look in your first image you posted. See where it says start IP address?

Thats where your user IP addresses will start. You can set that at any number you wish and then below that it says maximum users, can set that to whatever you want to.

subnet I believe should be the same as router 1.

bkribbs

Nope, its not gonna matter as all the IP adresses will be coming from router #1.

So if router 1 has an IP of 192.168.1.1 then all devices attached to your network will be the following.

and so on and so forth.

Look in your first image you posted. See where it says start IP address?

Thats where your user IP addresses will start. You can set that at any number you wish and then below that it says maximum users, can set that to whatever you want to.

subnet I believe should be the same as router 1.

Two problems then. First- the school has a subnet and router for Ethernet and wifi that are different. I suppose I use Ethernet since that's what I plugged into.

But the Ethernet one is 255.255.254.0.

My router has all 255.255.255.xxx and none with .254. Suggestions?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
First off, just try plugging in the router after you change the internal IP so its different from router 1. See if you get internet.

And if this is at your campus then confer with the network admin on how to setup your router.