setting up wireless internet network

speedyink

VIP Member
I just got a wireless router, and I want to connect my laptop to my internet service. I'm using Shaw high speed internet. My laptop is connected to the router, but I can't seem to get an internet connection. thanks for your help

speedyink

VIP Member
and how do I do that? My router gave me an IP address to set the settings, and it worked for a while, but now when I type in the IP address in my browser it doesnt come up anymore.

randruff

Have you tried restarting your cable/dsl modem and router? Are you getting any networking activity at all? Try this...goto start > run > type command > type inconfig /all

What does it say there?

speedyink

VIP Member
All I'm getting is a signal from the wireless router, so the router is connected. I'm gonna try your suggested in about a minute when my other computer is started up.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
If you're getting a wireless network signal from your router then the router is set up properly, unless it is set to a static IP address. You need to be sure that the router is set to use a dynamic IP, because ISPs will change the IP address assigned to you from time to time. To check this setting you should have in the router's manual an IP address for the router which will bring up the configuration screen. Find the setting for static/dynamic IP and be sure that it is set on dynamic.

speedyink

VIP Member
ok, I tried ipconfig/all and this is what I got.

thing.jpg

I also put in the default gateway into IE, (it was the same one I was putting in the whole time) and it still comes up with "page can not be displayed." I'm gonna try unplugging everything next.

speedyink

VIP Member
dciscouts said:
If you're getting a wireless network signal from your router then the router is set up properly, unless it is set to a static IP address. You need to be sure that the router is set to use a dynamic IP, because ISPs will change the IP address assigned to you from time to time. To check this setting you should have in the router's manual an IP address for the router which will bring up the configuration screen. Find the setting for static/dynamic IP and be sure that it is set on dynamic.

It did give me an IP address, and it worked until I think when I stupidly installed the shaw cd on it. When I set it up initially it did get me to choose, and I did choose dynamic IP.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Try putting in 192.168.0.1 That's the IP address of your router, and check on the status of the static/dynamic IP setting. My guess is that it's set on the static IP that you got from the first time you logged on to the internet. Now, your IP from your ISP has probably changed, and your router can't connect because it is using the wrong IP. The setting could also be under "automatically retrieve IP" or something like it.

P.S. Your router is working correctly, because your IP address is 192.168.0.3, and that is part of the network that your router has set up.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
speedyink said:
It did give me an IP address, and it worked until I think when I stupidly installed the shaw cd on it. When I set it up initially it did get me to choose, and I did choose dynamic IP.

OK, then it might have gotten switched when you installed the new CD, not likely, but remotely possible :)

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Additionally, there should be a reset button on your router, hold that down for a couple seconds, and then you can back to square 1 and reconfigure the whole thing. If that still doesn't work, then you cable modem might be shot... Question: Does your modem have a cable signal light? If so, is it steady or blinking?

speedyink

VIP Member
Ok, I fixed router settings thing, I guess somewhere along my travels I enabled a proxy server, so I disabled that I now I can get to the router set up screen. I made sure that it was set as a Dynamic IP, but when I test the internet connection it says it fails. Apparently I have a LAN IP, but not an Internet IP. I know my modem works because I have the router going to 2 computers, one is connected with an ethernet, the other from a wireless (wireless wont get internet). My modem has lights and it says its online, and its constantly on. One more thing, my PSP also can't connect to the internet. It also detects a router but it can't connect to the internet. What it stopping my wireless devices from connecting?

Last edited:

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Well, they're connecting, but for some reason, they're not actually getting anywhere on the internet... The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that the firewall on the router might be blocking the wireless computers. Or, the wireless component of the router could be screwed up. Try purchasing a router at a local business, and if that doesn't fix it, return it...

speedyink

VIP Member
purchasing another one will be a last resort. Maybe these people have a support telephone line or something that I could check out. When I try to connect my PSP, it says "Connection to the server failed. A DNS error has occurred"

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Hmm..., well then obviously something is wrong with the DNS entries in the router. I'd try pushing that reset button and starting over again with setting up all the entries and information. You can only re-enter this information from the computer that is directly connected to the router, though... I will be off-line for awhile, hopefully you get this figured out. Let me know if you need any more help.

speedyink

VIP Member
alright, thanks for all the help! The wierd thing is I can't enter the router settings through the computer that is connected with the ethernet cable (gives me the page can not be displayed thing). It is my main computer too.

Last edited:

speedyink

VIP Member
Well that was screwed up. Somehow someone changed the ethernet cables around so the modem was directly connected to the computer and the router was connected to...the router. I didnt bother checking them because I thought they were fine. Anyway, its all working now. Thanks for your replies.

D'OH!

kof2000

did you install the drivers for your router that pic looks like your router is not setup and have not detected your ip address yet.