Setting up wireless!

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys,

Need help setting up Wireless.

Okay so i have my main rig connected to the internet via my modem and then thats wired connected to a Wireless N router Model WNR2000.

I want to use the wireless so that my sisters pc in her bedroom can have internet access.

I have put in the Wireless USB dongle in her machine which runs Xp pro.

Where do i go from there? im lost lol.

I have set my router btw to enable Wireless brodacast so thats active....its just teh part on her machine i dont understand how to set up :D

Thanks in advance for help guys :good:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I can't believe noone has answered you yet. I would have last night but I was way too tired.

Have you installed the driver so the computer recognizes the adapter? If so, then you should see the wireless icon down in the taskbar by the clock. If you don't have it down there then go into network connections and see if a wireless connection is listed. Right click on that and then click on "view available wireless networks". Hopefully your SSID doesn't match anybody else's in the area, but your signal would be the strongest most likely. All you do is find which one is your router and hit the connect button for it. Did you enable security on your router? You would have to enter that key to be able to connect to your router. If you didn't enable security then it will connect automatically to it.

Hopefully that has helped you.

Bodaggit23

Best to make sure you have security enabled, otherwise John Q. Nextdoor
will be using your wireless connection also.

First thing, does the XP machine in the bedroom recognize when you plug
in the dongle?

Also, how many walls are between your router and the XP machine?