Setting Up

I recently received my new computer with Windows 10. I am trying to set things up but as always Windows is a huge headache.

I am trying to setup Windows Defender as my primary anti-virus software but can't find it. Where can it be found? I want a shortcut on my desktop.

I want to setup auto login so I don't need to enter a password every single time I use my computer. My worst fear is being permanently logged out of an expensive computer with all my stuff on it.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I am trying to setup Windows Defender as my primary anti-virus software but can't find it. Where can it be found? I want a shortcut on my desktop.
You can't Windows Defender is not like it used to be. It's called Windows Security now. The most you can do is pin it to the taskbar or the start menu.

I want to setup auto login so I don't need to enter a password every single time I use my computer. My worst fear is being permanently logged out of an expensive computer with all my stuff on it.
Did you set it up as a local account or with a Microsoft account? If you used a Microsoft account, convert it to a local account instead and you don't need a password. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-switch-local-account-microsoft-account-windows-10

I don't recall the setup giving me many choices. I saw some instructions for auto login online, but my user menu options seemed to lack the check box to save my password for the auto login.

What is this cord? I am trying to connect my old and new computer to a switch box for keyboard, screen, and mouse but my old computer doesn't seem to have this input.

Attachments

• 20210131_205858.jpg
    20210131_205858.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 0
Do they have switches that will hook a monitor up to a display port for one computer and an hdmi from the other? My old computer used hdmi for its monitor. Unless many monitors themselves can be directly hooked to two computers and switched with firmware in monitor?

Auto login does not protect you from being permanently locked out of your computer!

To be sure you need to set up windows the CORRECT way.. (Not the faulty "Microsoft way..")
That is to NOT sign in with your Microsoft account at the end of the Windows setup process, but to create a LOCAL Administrators account instead (Call it PCAdmin for simplicity) and then create a local regular useraccount for your self.. That you can attach to your Microsoft account..

This way you will always have a separate Administrators-account to use if your own account gets locked out, no matter if it is because you forgot your password, your MS account gets "hacked" and the password is changed etc.

An added bonus is that you will secure your PC (and it´s data) much better than any AV-software can if you stick with the "always admin"-approach that the "microsoft way"- forces you to...

My old monitor apparently uses one of these. So hopefully the HDMI port will work fine with new screen.

Attachments

• 20210202_200628.jpg
    20210202_200628.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 1
My old computer can't use an HDMI which it does have to connect to new monitor which has HDMI and DisplayPort?

The computer doesn't need to use VGA cable does it?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I just re-read your last few posts. I don't know why you care about the old monitor when the new monitor has HDMI and so does your old desktop. Just use an HDMI cable and be done with it.

I don't care about the old monitor. I want to share the new one between the two computers. I just want to be sure an HDMI will export the image to the monitor without issue.

Pupp

This is just my personal opinion, but getting an anti-virus that has a subscription model is what I'd suggest. If there was a single subscription for a computer I'd recommend, it's a good anti-virus. I think most allow at least 3 machines per subscription, plus a family plan if you have more machines and/or phones to protect.

I use Norton's myself, but other brands are just as good.

I think Windows Defender is on by default. Luckily most commercial ant-virus programs will disable Windows Defender when they install.-If they didn't the firewalls would interfere with each other.

If you look at Windows Security, even after you install a commercial anti-virus program, it will still look like it's on and protecting your computer. I'm guessing Microsoft works with the major anti-virus companies to integrate the commercial programs better with Windows 10.

Last edited:
I always keep Malwarebytes handy.

Anyway, I hooked up HDMI to Display port cord from old computers' HDMI to monitors' Display port and it didn't recognize anything there. Know why that might be?