Setup for college?

Cyalume

I'm a fulltime student who lives in the dorms at my junior college. I stay there from Monday to Friday, and come home on the weekends. What type of setup should I get?

I was thinking about this:
1 desktop at $1700
and 1 laptop at $599

Currently taking classes to major in Comp Sci.

Jet

VIP Member
That sounds decent--you definitely want a dual monitor setup. In relation to your major, you don't need all that powerful of a computer; an $800 desktop with two decent monitors would suffice. Then, think about something well built and portable for your laptop. My friend who is a CS major uses his macbook for his portable--obviously there are many choices on this.

itsaferbie

Also when picking out monitors make sure to try and get ones that can be in landscape mode or portrait mode, because coding in portrait mode makes it so much easier to have more lines of code on the screen.

SuperDuperMe

If your going to college you definately want a portable desktop for all that lanning, bit pheonix prodigy seems to be the new go to case for portability and you can pretty much stick anything in them due to the mobo layout. Only limitation as far as i am aware is depth of psu and size of mobo, other than that people have had gtx 670's and i5 3570ks in them.

Cant help on the laptop front, i dont know shit about em.