setup new comp and nothing. :(

royalmarine

hi there.

setup my comp today. plugged in whats needed etc.
but nothing on the display and not a beep from the motherboard.

its a 680i and a 7950gx2.
ive tried everything i can think of.

any suggestions?

lovely?

do the fans start, are all of the insides wired up correctly like the PSU to mobo connection, simple stuff like that is the first place to start

royalmarine

yeah i wired it up completly.
fans and everything starts.

the mobo shows -- on the small led box it has.
removed all the ram and everything else apart from 1 stick of ram.
still same problem.
disconnected the harddrive and dvd drive.

i think it might be the graphics card. but it was working when i bought it, and since then its been in a bubble wrap in a box.

thanks for the quick replies.

lovely?

hmm 7950GX2 doesnt strike me as a power saver, is your power supply up to snuff? whats the wattage and brand?

royalmarine

positive.

all connections are in 100%. that was my first thought. so i stripped it down, and went again double checking everything i was doing.

royalmarine

tried them all. one at a time, 2, 3 etc.
also tried different ram i have at home.

all same problems.
tried few different harddrives aswel. but all same result.

newguy5

sounds like a video card error. if a video card is bad you won't get a post or anything. i've had that happen to me. thought i fried my computer and for some reason the video card was the first thing on the replacement list since it was the easiest and cheapest and that solved the problem right away.

could easily be something else, but that does also sound like a faulty video card.

royalmarine

hmm. id try another card but i dont have any at home :(
ill get in touch with the guy i bought it off and see if he had any problems but i saw it working in his computer before i bought it.

could it be anything else?

royalmarine

not sure. ive got an athlon 4000. but not sure what board. ill see if i can put it in there.
im at work now until 7am so ill have at crack at it tomorrow when i get home.

ill let ye know how it goes.

royalmarine

so i dont have another card to try :(
and my other mobo's wont take the 7950gx2 either :(

so im stumped for now.
any more suggestions

Iluvpenguins

it could be your computer is being grounded. Make sure there aren't any standoffs touching the motherboard that are unneccessary or any screws that may be grounding it. When I pulled my mobo out yesterday when i was unable to get any sort of power at all, i found that it worked outside, and that there was a standoff under the motherboard that was acting as a grounding thing, so i removed it and lo-and-behold, it worked.

Bronson7

Does your vid card have a power connector and if so, is it hooked up? Silly question, I know, but it happens a lot.
Bronson7

royalmarine

what ive just noticed, is there is a pin bent on the cpu laydown :(

im going to work now, but ill bring it with me and try repair it.
im hoping its not snapped completly and that i can straighten it.

the gpu has a power input and its connected.

what im getting now is there is a -- led code.
so im toubleshooting that for now. i dont think its the graphics card anymore as i dont even get post or nothing.

ill update again soon.

royalmarine

yep. its the motherboard.

there is a pin broken off where the cpu sits.

is it possible to self repair? i bought it second hand and not sure about the warranty.

ive also removed the northbridge and southbridge and put my own on so i think sending it back to the manufacturer isnt a great idea.

any advise?

Iluvpenguins

yep. its the motherboard.

there is a pin broken off where the cpu sits.

is it possible to self repair? i bought it second hand and not sure about the warranty.

ive also removed the northbridge and southbridge and put my own on so i think sending it back to the manufacturer isnt a great idea.

any advise?

Well, this is a farfetched idea but, you could try soldering a pin of the same material/same size where the broken one used to be...or you could buy a new motherboard for awfully cheap. I bought a new motherboard for about 91dollars that had alot of good features...