Setup Question for 2.4GHz & 5GHz

johnnyb58

I’m finally getting around to installing my brand new ASUS rt-ac68u router and I was wondering if I need to have separate names for 2.4GHz & 5GHz.

I watched a YouTube video where the guy used different names for the speeds. I have a lot of people using my network and I don’t know what speeds each one is using. I don’t want to lock out any devices already connected and don't know if the names are actually used to log in.

beers

Staff member
You can if you want, if you have the same SSID usually you want some sort of band steering to prefer 5 GHz so you don't get stuck on 2.4 GHz.

I believe that Asus can do band steering under the 'Smart Connect' feature.

johnnyb58

You can if you want, if you have the same SSID usually you want some sort of band steering to prefer 5 GHz so you don't get stuck on 2.4 GHz.

I believe that Asus can do band steering under the 'Smart Connect' feature.
Thanks Beers I guess for now I'll just leave it the same until I can figure this all out.

Geoff

VIP Member
Personally I'd keep them with the same name and same security passphrase, most clients will steer towards the better 5GHz network.

Geoff

VIP Member
5GHz will be better when you're closer and the 2.4 better when you're further away.
Depends, if he's in a populated area with lots of neighboring APs, the 2.4GHz noise floor will be much higher, leading to a much lower SNR than on 5GHz. But generally at max power, 2.4GHz works better at further distances.