SFTP how to change to a different drive letter using Winscp app?

Discussion in 'Computer Networking and Servers' started by finsfree, Dec 13, 2016.

1. finsfree

finsfree Member

I can SFTP into a remote computer's home directory (C:\) just fine, but how do I change to a different drive letter on that same computer (my example is drive Z:\)?

I've tried typing in the remote column:
    z:/
    /z:
    z:
    z
    Z:
    Z:/
    /Z:

What am I doing wrong?

I am using both Windows 10 Pro on the Server & client side. I am using FreeSSHD as a SFTP Server.

2. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

The SFTP path is relative, typically there's a root path defined in the server.

You could make a symbolic link within that path to another folder on a different drive without any SCP config changes.

3. Cromewell

Cromewell Administrator Staff Member

Depending on how it chroots into the directory jail your sftp server may not follow symlinks.

beers likes this.
  4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Well-Known Member

This^

You can only Nav into the directory you set up in the FTP server. You can't Nav away from it.

If you just want to access a computer consider deploying TeamViewer. You can access the server from a computer and even a smartphone with their Apps. I do this to remote into my phone to grab two factor Auth codes instead of getting my phone all the time.

A great FTP App is Andftp.

Do two factor your teamviewer account.

5. finsfree

finsfree Member

Thanks for this information. I did create a symbolic link and it worked perfectly!

I learned something new and resolved the issue.

Thanks again!

Cromewell and beers like this.
  6. beers

beers Moderator Staff Member

Glad to help!