Share internet between 2 pcs

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys,

Right i have my main rig in siggy in my bedroom which is connected to our 2mb broadband internet connection as its in my room.

Ive just given my old pc to my sister and its now in her room but how would i share the internet between the two pcs?

if i can remember correctly an old friend of mine done this with his pc and his dads laptop where he had this like wireless dongle thing that the first one in the pcs usb port and the other in his laptop and then they both shared the connection but im unsure.

i hope this isnt going to be costly :cool:

EDIT:Forgot to mention my rig runs vista and my sisters runs Xp,Not sure if that would effect anything?

tks guys :)

Dzha2000

buy yourself a router and run some wires from it to both PCs. very easy to do. you will also have to configure the router especially if you are on DSL.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

So i take it i would need a Wireless router,I dont want cables everywhere.

is it possible to connect my pc to my router via wires but my sisters via wireless?

i dont like the idea of going wireless on my main rig because i heard on slower broadband connections theyre crap for gamers if you play online which i do. :cool:

cohen

This is how i do it

Well... when my house was built my dad networked the whole house. So in every room we have a internet port. Then in the downstairs study dad has the ports in the wall and a hub. So the hub is then connected to the modem.

But to make it easy.... you can buy a wireless modem / router and then wireless PCI cards for the desktops and use the wireless as the internet.

Depending on how far the computer is away you could be running meters and meters of CAT5

Dzha2000

Yes you can buy wireless router and connect one computer wireless and second computer wired. all routers have build in switch for just a such scenario.

wireless will not slow down your internet, but it will introduce more latency which is bad for online gaming.

Wired will provide you with more stable connection (in wireless if you fart the wrong way your computer might loose the connection) and more bandwidth between the computer for file sharing. also if you decide to drop cable, especially if you will try to hide them behind the walls, go with Cat 6 cables just in case at some point you decide to go gigabit.

hope that helps

cRABu

wireless 802.2 runs at 54mbps, where if you cross wire a cat5 you get 100mbps. i sugest the cable connection. make a peer2peer conection and than share your internet connection to your local p2p. easy

CentralViking19

now that you know what you need, here are links for what you need to buy:

Router--> http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=530

Wireless PCI Card--> http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=531

All completly compatible with XP and Vista, i dunno about the x64 version that you have however. you may want to check that out on google before you buy the PCI card, or if you want you can just plug right into the router

so your network would look like this

net.png