Sharing a Network Over a Distance

JasonPDK

Hi all,

I need to add a computer that is roughly 50 - 60 meters (164 - 196 feet, for you Americans out there :p) away from the rest of the network in a separate building.

I was wondering what would be the best way to add this computer to the network (if there is a way)? I would rather this computer use the same connection rather than paying for another one :)

All the best :)

JasonPDK

If the distance is too long to cable directly into your network you could try a VPN.

Wouldn't that require a second connection? It's not so much that I need the computer added to the network, more that I need to share the connection to save some money :p

A cable might work but I would be looking at some way to connect them wirelessly, mostly for handiness :p

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well if there is a way to run a cable the distance then you are allowed up to 300 feet on a cable run before signal degradation. If that isn't feasible then you would have to set up a wireless transmitter and receiver somehow. Probably cheaper to run cable.

salvage-this

Wouldn't that require a second connection? It's not so much that I need the computer added to the network, more that I need to share the connection to save some money :p

A cable might work but I would be looking at some way to connect them wirelessly, mostly for handiness :p

Sorry I figured that the other building had a connection, it was just not on your network. Misunderstanding on my part. Running the cable would really be the best.

JasonPDK

Ah okay, thanks guys. :) Looking at different transmitters they seem pretty expensive :p

Would I just run standard Cat5e cable (like this) and enclose it in a pipe or something? :)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You may have to check your local building codes to verify what is needed. Some require conduit to to be used or you can buy direct burial cat 5e or cat6 cable and just dig a trench and bury it.

JasonPDK

I don't think there'll be a problem with building codes, I live in the middle of the countryside in Ireland and have 1 person who lives relatively close :p

Putting regular Cat5e cable in a conduit would probably work out cheaper. Also, I read that they can attract lightning stikes. Is that true? If it is how can I protect against it? :)

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see it being any more lightning prone than anything else. Just make sure you install surge protectors at each end to protect against surges.

y2keable

If you put it in metalic conduit then burry the conduit, it's pretty much lightning proof ;)

You may want to think about using an ordinary wireless router in the new building but installing a directional antenna to increas range, they can be had for around £20.

tremmor

they may have cable suitable to put in ground without conduit. ive run conduit in the states to the garage with cat5, fiber optics and telephone. My code require it be a distance from all electrical wiring in the ground. check with your city for sure. All code are different. Might be over and above the standard code.