sharing a printer

Binary Coder

hi, how do i share a printer that is attached to my laptop upstairs and be able to print to it from my dektop downstairs?

Im using windows xp and the two computers are networked using a belkin 56g wireless router and usb receiver, thanks ;)

Alex.A

Control Panel--> Printers and Faxes --> your printer's name--> "Printer" tab--> Sharing

Platinum

First of all, you need to make sure you have file and printer sharing checked in the firewall exceptions. To do this go to Start > Control Panel > Windows Firewall and click the Exceptions tab. There should be a check box next to File and Printer Sharing, make sure that's checked. Then, in the Control Panel window click Printers and Faxes. Right click the printer you want to share and click "Sharing..." - click the "Share this printer" radio button and choose a share name. To make it easy, also check the "List in directory" check box. Then go to your PC and open Printers and Faxes from the control panel. Right click somewhere in the windows explorer and go to Add a Printer and choose the option to search for a printer in the network or connected to another computer. Follow the setup and look for it in the directory, should be there. If it's not then find it using the 2nd option (looks like \\server\printer - where server is the name of the computer and printer is the name of the printer you entered previously) - let me know if that works.

Edit: Looks like I got beat to it!

Binary Coder

ok i figured it out, thanks anyway for the quick replys, will the sharing work if my laptop (the computer that its connected to) is turned off?

thanks

azwebs

No.

If the computer that the printer is connected to is off, it wont print until the PC is turned on and the printer spooling service restarts. If your printer is network compatible, I'd suggest plugging it into the Ethernet on your router, and if it isn't, you can get wireless print servers, or cables that convert USB printers to network compatible terminals. The print servers are around £50 on the high street, £30 on internet, and I'm not sure about the printer to network terminals. It might be worth searching Ebuyer for these things.

kof2000

ok i figured it out, thanks anyway for the quick replys, will the sharing work if my laptop (the computer that its connected to) is turned off?

thanks

if you want it that way then you should get yourself a network printer ( printer with its own nic card ) plug that into the router and any computer can print from it regardless of any of them being turned off :) they cost more though.