Shift + Down Arrow not selecting all

dahermit

Windows 10 operating system
I am trying to close all programs when trying to safely eject my USB device (HDD dock), after making a clone.

The instructions via search says to go to Task Manager (which I do), hit the Down Arrow (which I do... it takes me to the first app in the running list), and then hit "Shift + Down Arrow" to select all the running programs. Instead of selecting all the running programs, the High Light only drops down to the next item.

Note: It does not make any difference if the Scroll Lock is on or not.

How can I select all the running programs so that I may close them? What am I missing here?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just make sure no data is being transferred to it when removing. You can also just right click on the usb device down by the clock and click on eject device. eject device.jpg

dahermit

"You can also just right click on the usb device down by the clock and click on eject"

Nope... when I click on that, a message comes up on the screen and says that there is a program still running that I must close before I can safely remove the device.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Basically you just need to make sure that there are no windows open. Not sure if you have any programs open that runs your dock that might be listed under background processes. I've never closed out of stuff to remove my usb and no issues.

dahermit

Once again, how can I get Shift + Down Arrow to select all the running processes while in Task Manager? Let us not lose the tree in the forest.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would say the website where you got those directions are wrong because it doesn't let me do it either. What is the link to the site with those specific directions?

beers

Staff member
Once again, how can I get Shift + Down Arrow to select all the running processes while in Task Manager? Let us not lose the tree in the forest.
Not sure how you expect someone to change integrated shortcut behavior for you, you could alternatively try another approach since it's pretty simple to observe which processes are leveraging your disk.

What are you using to clone the drive?

dahermit

I would say the website where you got those directions are wrong because it doesn't let me do it either. What is the link to the site with those specific directions?

Several had it including this one:

dahermit

Not sure how you expect someone to change integrated shortcut behavior for you, you could alternatively try another approach since it's pretty simple to observe which processes are leveraging your disk.

What are you using to clone the drive?
I don't expect anyone to change my computer's shortcut behavior. I am just following directions I found on the internet on how to do it. I could alternately choose another approach if someone would tell me how to do so. Knowing that you think another approach is "simple", helps me how?

beers

Staff member
Knowing that you think another approach is "simple", helps me how?
99% of the time it's the cloning software still having an operation open on the drive, or a folder in file explorer open where you're looking at the contents. So, you could always just terminate those processes as opposed to providing snarky feedback.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Several had it including this one:
That specific article is dated 2012 so that wouldn't represent Windows 10. It may have worked in windows 7 or earlier. I have 2 other windows 10 machines here and they both don't work like suggested with shift and arrow keys.

I just found this with a simple google search. Windows itself will not allow this to happen, you will need to use an app to do it.

FYI, I hope you don't believe everything you see on the internet.

dahermit

That specific article is dated 2012 so that wouldn't represent Windows 10. It may have worked in windows 7 or earlier. I have 2 other windows 10 machines here and they both don't work like suggested with shift and arrow keys.

I just found this with a simple google search. Windows itself will not allow this to happen, you will need to use an app to do it.

FYI, I hope you don't believe everything you see on the internet.
Thank for your useful response.

novicegeek

Just make sure no data is being transferred to it when removing. You can also just right click on the usb device down by the clock and click on eject device. View attachment 10508
If that doesn't work, what do you think about going into file explorer, right-clicking on the device and clicking on "Eject" from there? I have found that works when the taskbar option doesn't.