Should I avoid Windows 8 when buying a new laptop?

AvivC

I'm buying a new laptop. My budget is 2000 dollars.

I wanted to know: Should I avoid Windows 8, and only buy a laptop with Windows 7?

Is Windows 8 buggy, uncomfortable or problematic relative to Windows 7? What should I prefer?

Please try to keep you answer as objective as possible. Please explain your opinion.

Thank you :)

robina_80

windows 8 is fine, i tell you what tho if you get it with a Solid State Drive it boots in no time atall, matter of seconds

windows 7 is fine but if i were you i would get the best and latest one, ie windows 8

AlienMenace

Windows 8 is nice, but if you go to a store and play with one of the computers or if you have a friend that has 8, see if they will let you try it out. To see if you like it. I like it a lot.

AvivC

Thanks for the answers.

Two questions:

1- How different is the UI of Windows 8 compared to Windows 7? How long does it take getting used to the new UI?

2- Is Windows 8 known to have some compatibility issues with software created before it was released?

strollin

The new UI of Win 8 is optional, the traditional desktop is still there. What's missing from the desktop is the Start menu. If you rely heavily on the Start menu and can't use Windows without it then there are apps you can install such as Classic Shell that will give you the Start menu back. In Win 8 it takes only 1 click to reach the desktop, in Win 8.1 you can configure it to boot to the desktop.

I'm sure there is software out there that isn't compatible with Win 8 but I have had no issues. I run the same suite of programs on my Win 8 machines as I do on my Win 7 machines.

DaveSi677

The new UI of Win 8 is optional, the traditional desktop is still there. What's missing from the desktop is the Start menu. If you rely heavily on the Start menu and can't use Windows without it then there are apps you can install such as Classic Shell that will give you the Start menu back. In Win 8 it takes only 1 click to reach the desktop, in Win 8.1 you can configure it to boot to the desktop.

Go with windows 8 just like strollin mentioned Classic Shell will give you a start menu just like win7.

Honestly win8 is a lot better when it comes to performance. It takes me 3 seconds and I'm in!

bengal85

I really like windows 8....one thing I would throw out there just as a nugget of advice though would be that if you are looking windows 8 look into a touch screen laptop. Maybe even a transformer. there are some things in windows 8 that I would like so so much more if I had a touchscreen laptop...all in all though I think windows 8 is awesome.

strollin

I would not advise a touch screen laptop. Touch is great on a device like my Win 8 tablet that has no mouse or keyboard but on a laptop there is absolutely no need for touch as things can be done faster and more accurately with the mouse and keyboard.

bengal85

I would not advise a touch screen laptop. Touch is great on a device like my Win 8 tablet that has no mouse or keyboard but on a laptop there is absolutely no need for touch as things can be done faster and more accurately with the mouse and keyboard.

I more referenced that in regards to the transformers. I do agree that solid laptops do not have much use for touch screens.

FuryRosewood

Unfortunately you cannot avoid Win 8 or 8.1 with a new laptop - install classic shell if you want to avoid the Metro/Modern UI and get a Interface that works.