Should I buy a Black Friday computer or build one myself?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yeah, two 7870 will scale pretty well. But right off I would take a single better card. Would not buy 2 7870, would get a 7950/7970. But if you cant afford a better single card you can upgrade to another 7870 later.

Last edited:

ihaveacamaro

Yeah, two 7870 will scale pretty well. But right off I would take a single better card. Would not buy 2 7870, would get a 7950/7970. But if you cant afford a better single card you can upgrade to another 7870 later.

I don't honestly think I will have any need for two graphics cards. I'm pretty sure the 1 7870 will fulfill all my needs lol

Plus yeah, that would be well out of my budget.

New question for curiosity sake: What is the difference between an AMD that has 8 cores vs an intel that has 4 cores but are hyperthreaded? Is that difference notable? I've always kind of wondered about this question but had no one to ask... until now :)

claptonman

I don't honestly think I will have any need for two graphics cards. I'm pretty sure the 1 7870 will fulfill all my needs lol

Plus yeah, that would be well out of my budget.

New question for curiosity sake: What is the difference between an AMD that has 8 cores vs an intel that has 4 cores but are hyperthreaded? Is that difference notable? I've always kind of wondered about this question but had no one to ask... until now :)

What motherboard did you buy? You said you bought everything but the CPU, right?

ihaveacamaro

What motherboard did you buy? You said you bought everything but the CPU, right?

I ordered the motherboard on the last page sorry i'm on my phone or I would link it. I'm thinking about returning it and getting an Intel motherboard because the i5 3570k is on sale at comp USA for 150 plus tax. What do you guys think?

ihaveacamaro

I ordered the motherboard on the last page sorry i'm on my phone or I would link it. I'm thinking about returning it and getting an Intel motherboard because the i5 3570k is on sale at comp USA for 150 plus tax. What do you guys think?

Hope you guys had a great Turkey Day! If anybody is still awake/on the forum on this Black Friday, I would love if you could give me your input :)

Intel i5 3570k or AMD 8320? Intel is $25 cheaper.

ihaveacamaro

There is always a better board. That one will run just fine though.

Ive learned that future proofing is kind of impossible the last few days, but I would like to have somethingthat will still be relevant for five or so years. Do you think that this motherboard will do that? If it will then i'm perfectly happy with this motherboard :)

wolfeking

banned
no. Even a UP7 will not still be relevant in 5 years. No more than a 965P powered 775 board is still good today. 3 years will be about the length of service before you need an upgrade to keep on gaming an so on.

I personally would go for a higher end board to stay relevant, but yours will be fine.

ihaveacamaro

no. Even a UP7 will not still be relevant in 5 years. No more than a 965P powered 775 board is still good today. 3 years will be about the length of service before you need an upgrade to keep on gaming an so on.

I personally would go for a higher end board to stay relevant, but yours will be fine.

any links to these boards? I'm not sure what to look for so I had to google good Intel motherboard to find the one I did above lol

wolfeking

banned
the lk is fine. It will last as long as you are careful picking out teh rest of the components.

As for higher end boards, something on the lines of the P8Z77-V, P8Z77-V PRO, Maximus, P8Z77-V Deluxe, or P8Z77 WS (I have the P67 version, and it is bloody amazing.). Gigabyte boards to look at would have been the Z77X-UP4, UP5, or UP7. MSI would have been the Mpower.

The board you have is fine, and will last, with the proper setup.

ihaveacamaro

the lk is fine. It will last as long as you are careful picking out teh rest of the components.

As for higher end boards, something on the lines of the P8Z77-V, P8Z77-V PRO, Maximus, P8Z77-V Deluxe, or P8Z77 WS (I have the P67 version, and it is bloody amazing.). Gigabyte boards to look at would have been the Z77X-UP4, UP5, or UP7. MSI would have been the Mpower.

The board you have is fine, and will last, with the proper setup.

Alright, I guess I'll stick with the one I ordered then :) everything i've ordered is I believe on page 6 with the exception of a i5 5750 and the motherboard above. spirit helped me pick out a bunch of it soI assume that would qualify as a proper set up?