Should I buy a CPU based on 1151?

Siberian

I'm currently upgrading my PC and looking at CPUs. I'm into flight-simming and so I wonder if it's a good idea to buy something based on the 1151 socket. I've read that it's on the way out and so I want something that might perhaps last me through my next CPU upgrade as well. Is the 2066 socket the next thing? Or something else?

Agent Smith

I use an i5 6600k LGA 1151 in FSX and it performs well. Granted you can't crank the settings up and expect great performance no matter the CPU, especially with a lot of add-ons. FS is largely CPU dependent. If you plan on keeping your computer for a while, it may be worthwhile to invest in a more upgraded CPU though. What's your budget? You want the highest single thread capable CPU you can afford since FS is only a single threaded game.

Agent Smith

Prepar3d, while it has some optimized code is still largely CPU driven and mostly single threaded. So you'll want a CPU with the highest single thread capability. If you're budget for a CPU is $650, then I'd consider an i7 8086k. Or an i7 8700k.

Intel_man

VIP Member
then I'd consider an i7 8086k. Or an i7 8700k.
Price premium of the 8086k that is binned 300mhz higher isn't worth it tbh. Unless you want to get something that is "Limited Edition" with a production run that I wouldn't consider "Limited Edition".

An i5-8600k would overclock to 4.9-5.2ghz depending on your luck in the silicon lottery. It'll be cheaper than the 8700k and won't see noticeable difference since hyperthreading won't be beneficial to you in P3D/XP-11.

If you don't plan on overclocking, then the stock clock of the 8700k would be beneficial. Keep in mind that any of the K sku'd processors from Intel does not come with a CPU cooler and will require an aftermarket CPU cooler.