Should I buy this gaming PC???

acelenny

Ok, so I could really use some help here. My current PC is now falling way behind with my gaming requirements so I am looking to upgrade. However, I am heading to university in a year and so I don't want to spend a huge amount. The pc below is one being sold by a friend and I want to see what you people think of it:

I7 quad core clocked at 4.4GHZ (i7 2600K, noctua high profile cooler)

GTX 780ti windforce oc edition

16GB DDR3 RAM Hyper X

Not sure what the name of the motherboard is

Samsung 128GB solid state drive

Seagate 7200RPM 1.5TB hard drive

750w corsair PSU

CREATIVE x-fi sound blaster 7.1 sound card

Antec Case has 2 in fans and 2 out fans, with dust filters.

Fan controller built into case.

He wants to sell it for 600-700 pounds and it is a couple of years old. This would be in comparison to my current PC:

core 2 duo at 3 ghx
Radeon 5830
4gb ddr2 ram
650w power supply
500 gb HDD.

Here are my key question:
1)How well would the PC perform for gaming?
2) How future proof is it?
3) How does it add up for the price?
4) How much of an improvement would it be compared to my current computer?
5) For that price, new, what do you guys think I could get?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Darren

Staff member
1. Very well. It's using parts that are a couple years old, but they're all on the very high end of what was available at the time. That machine walks all over mine in terms of performance and I still play most all games at high or maxed out.
2. It will last you a while. This question is impossible to answer with any setup, but it is powerful now and should still fare well over the next few years.
3. I'm not good with price guesses, but I'd say 1000 USD, maybe less. So about what he's asking. I'd wait to see what others say.
4. Massive gains.
5. I don't know prices of parts in pounds very well so can't help you there.

kam

Ok, so I could really use some help here. My current PC is now falling way behind with my gaming requirements so I am looking to upgrade. However, I am heading to university in a year and so I don't want to spend a huge amount. The pc below is one being sold by a friend and I want to see what you people think of it:

I7 quad core clocked at 4.4GHZ (i7 2600K, noctua high profile cooler)

GTX 780ti windforce oc edition

16GB DDR3 RAM Hyper X

Not sure what the name of the motherboard is

Samsung 128GB solid state drive

Seagate 7200RPM 1.5TB hard drive

750w corsair PSU

CREATIVE x-fi sound blaster 7.1 sound card

Antec Case has 2 in fans and 2 out fans, with dust filters.

Fan controller built into case.

He wants to sell it for 600-700 pounds and it is a couple of years old. This would be in comparison to my current PC:

core 2 duo at 3 ghx
Radeon 5830
4gb ddr2 ram
650w power supply
500 gb HDD.

Here are my key question:
1)How well would the PC perform for gaming?
2) How future proof is it?
3) How does it add up for the price?
4) How much of an improvement would it be compared to my current computer?
5) For that price, new, what do you guys think I could get?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

This is a steal! I'd buy it and you could possibly replace the 780 with a 960 or 970 in the future to up the performance a bit and also add a bit more value. Good luck!

Darren

Staff member
The one you originally linked is better. The 780 TI, while older, is faster than a GTX 970. CPU is essentially the same. More RAM and more HDD space as well for the first one. Honestly I'd say go for it for 6-700 pounds. Also the fact that you can see it in person before you buy it is a good thing. Once you get it I'd advise a format and reinstall of Windows, and upgrade to W10 if you want. Make sure the OS is a legit copy though.